Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschaffe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,128
Message 1 of 5

ThinkVantage Update messes up wireless drivers

When I run System Update on my ThinkPad T60, it offers to install ThinkPad 802.11a/b/g/n, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN drivers, version 7.4.2.134.  After installing and restarting, Wireless never successfuly connects, failing to get an IP address or the step before it (associating?).

If I run System Update again, it installs ThinkPad 802.11a/b/g, 802.11b/g Wireless LAN drivers (note, no "n") version 5.3.0.85, which works fine.

Running System Update again offers the "n" version again.

Why is this happening?  Is there anything I can do about it?

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 1,120
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkVantage Update messes up wireless drivers

pardon my flippant response, but like most of the thinkvantage junk, the system update utility also sucks.  imo, you should uninstall TVSU (along with most of the other useless TV utilities) and only download/install the drivers/software that are needed to make the system work properly.  i know the Lenovo support site is convoluted/confusing, but ime, it's better to wade through the mess and find the latest drivers/updates yourself, then make an informed decision about whether to go ahead with particular updates... or not. TVSU is simply not sophisticated enough, imo... in fact, you're much better off allowing windows update (microsoft) update your drivers (at least they are WHQL certified), and not bother dealing with the mess that TVSU can wreak on your system.

also, read this thread, perhaps it relates to your issue (ie, uninstall old drivers and get new ones from intel)

Highlighted
jschaffe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,110
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reference!

Unfortunately I'm not sure my wireless adapter is made by Intel; all I can see in device manager is "11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter" and the driver is provided by Atheros.  All of the device listings on the Intel site aeem to be labeled Intel Pro or something more specific than what I have listed in my T60.

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 1,107
Message 4 of 5

have you tried uninstalling the current wireless nic driver (via the device manager), then attempt to install the correct driver?

i see on Lenovo's support site for the T60 that it there are two types of wifi adapters (the Intel and a generic one), along with a myriad of driver choices.  the driver matrix on the lenovo site is confusing... did you download the right driver, depending on the OS (XP or Vista) and architecture (32 vs 64 bit).

Wireless LAN drivers for XP

Wireless LAN drivers for Vista

verify that you have the right driver package, extract it to disk, then use the device manager to install the driver (from the directory where you extracted the lenovo drivers).  vista will automatically search subdirectories for the correct driver(s), but in XP, the actual driver directory must be specified.

jschaffe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,079
Message 5 of 5

I'm using XP, and it's when ThinkVantage System Update installed the version you linked to (7.4.2.134) that my wireless doesn't work.  Notice that the title says "...(11bg, 11abg, 11abgn)..." -- I think it's the "n" that makes it the wrong driver since my T60 doesn't have "n" support.

If I run System Update after installing the "n" driver, it offers to install a different driver (5.3.0.85) marked  "..(ThinkPad 802.11bg, 802.11abg).." -- no "n" support -- located here: Wireless software (ThinkPad 802.11bg, 802.11abg) for XP.  This version works fine, and I'm functional now.

The issue may boil down to System Update flakiness, every time I run it it offers to install the alternate driver, and only one of the drivers actually works!

Message Edited by jschaffe on 01-27-2009 09:49 AM
Message Edited by jschaffe on 01-27-2009 01:41 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals