Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
txauctioneer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,681
Message 1 of 10

ThinkVantage after New XP install?

I recently purchased a used T60 2007-CTO (off-corporate lease). The harddrive was wiped and only XP was reinstalled.

It seems that the primary drivers were reinstalled, as there is no problem with the wireless networking, but the ThinkVantage button doesn't work.

I've downloaded some of the associated programs/drivers for this, but after reading some posts in this forum and searching the Lenovo site for information, I'm not sure if this is all it takes to get this working again (and I don't want to cause more problems). 

Can I just install these various programs and get this working again? 

Is there a specific order that these need to be reinstalled? 

Can I just load some of them or... 

Are there specific applications that must first be installed for others to properly work? 

I forgot to mention,

Bios shows to be version 1.04 (3/31/2006)

2Ghz T2500 Core-Duo

Thanks

Message Edited by txauctioneer on 07-14-2009 01:37 PM
Retired Guru
Views: 1,667
Message 2 of 10

Re: ThinkVantage after New XP install?

Hi txauctioneer,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum Smiley Happy

The ThinkVantage button calls up different programs depending on when you press it:

1. Pressed at boot time, it will launch the Rescue & Recovery program.
  2. Pressed after booting your OS, it will launch the ThinkVantage Productivity Center.

Action 1 relies on a special Lenovo boot loader in MBR, as well as one or more hidden partitions. This one is more difficult to restore if you don't have it. I'm not sure if simply installing Rescue and Recovery will restore this function, because your drive may need to be re-partitioned. The way I know will work is to restore your Thinkpad using the Recovery CDs. You would have to get those from Lenovo, they probably cost ~$50.

In my opinion, Action 1 is useful, but Acronis True Image works better (faster) to back up / restore your entire hard drive to an external one. If you'd have to buy the Recovery CDs anyway, getting True Image instead and backing up your system to an external usb hard drive might be preferable.

Action 2 is easily restored by installing the appropriate software and drivers. The easy way is to download and install ThinkVantage System Update, and run it to find and install all software for your ThinkPad.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
txauctioneer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,661
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the overview. I think I saw a similar reply in another thread, and then someone indicated they were having other problems, which is why I decided to post my questions and also included my Bios revision level, in case this might be a factor for some of the apps to work properly. 

I noticed there are some newer Bios revisions for the T60. Will I have to update these, before install some of the other apps? Or will the Update do all this automatically?

Is there any way to determine if my drive was formatted with the hidden partition? 

Retired Guru
Views: 1,655
Message 4 of 10

You can select Start: All Programs: Administrative Tools: Computer Management. Then in the left panel, click on Storage: Disk Management. That will show the partitions on your hard drive.

Updating your BIOS may fix problems (or create new ones if you are unlucky!) but is probably not necessary. System Update will include BIOS updates. It should install things in the "right" order (again, unless you are unlucky, it has occasionally happened in the past). What the heck! Assume you're lucky! Smiley Happy

Good luck! Smiley Happy

-Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
txauctioneer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,644
Message 5 of 10

Thanks, Frank, 

Well, so far, so much for being "lucky".

It doesn't show any partitions... just the "C" drive and the "CD-ROM 0 DVD".

I guess this means I would have to start from scratch?

Retired Guru
Views: 1,632
Message 6 of 10

To the best of my knowledge, if you want the factory restore partition on your hard drive, you will need the Product Recovery CDs, yes.
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
txauctioneer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,623
Message 7 of 10

Frank, first I want to thank you for your patience and all the great info.

Now, you've got me rethinking my original plans. 

So, if I don't have the hidden partition, will I still be able to download all of the other utilities and get them to work, such as the System Update,  Productivity Center, Active Protection System, etc.?

Are there any of the programs, besides the recovery/restore that may rely on the hidden partition? 

While I think you may have answered this in your first response, I'm just trying to make sure I don't load something on the main drive that will just cause other problems, considering my "luck" so far. 

Thanks again. 

Retired Guru
Views: 1,599
Message 8 of 10

Hi txauctioneer,

You're quite welcome! Smiley Happy

I appreciate the kudos, but there's no need to kudo every post. Smiley Wink

Also please keep in mind that despite my sincere desire to help (and that awesome-appearing "guru" title next to my username) at least some of what I say here is going to be wrong. Hopefully others will notice and correct that when it happens -- that's part of the beauty of an open forum. Just a notice that you should mentally insert an "AFAIK" in front of everything I post here. Smiley Wink

With *that* out of the way...

None of the ThinkVantage utilities you mention depend on the product recovery partition. Your ThinkPad will run just fine without it.

I also sent you a PM...

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
txauctioneer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,509
Message 9 of 10

Well, as MY luck would have it...

I have tried to download and install the ThinkVantage System Update and it tells comes back with an error, indicating that it "is not a valid Win32 application"

Answers to possible questions:

OS - WinXP-Pro SP3 - all the latest updates should be installed also. 

Yes, I downloaded the MS .NET Framework (latest ver 3.5) first and restarted the computer before downloading and trying to run "systemupdate314-2009-6-12.exe" 

Yes, I tried executing it straight from the Lenovo site AND downloading to the hard drive and executing it, with the same results. 

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

Message Edited by JaneL on 07-17-2009 08:02 PM
Retired Guru
Views: 1,481
Message 10 of 10

Hi txauctioneer,

That's a weird one! Best guess: try installing MS .NET 2.0. (Yes, in addition to the 3.5 you already have.) The various .NET major versions can co-exist on your machine, and in fact may have to for certain programs to run.

Please let us know if that works!

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals