Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dareys
Token Ring
Views: 414
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad T60p Cd/DVD drive suddenly stopped working

Greetings,

After re-formatting and re-installing the OS on my Lenovo Thinkpad T60p, the DVD drive has stopped working. 

The OS sees the drive, but when I load a DVD into the it and try to access its content, a window appears but shows no files. If I insert the DVD into another computer, I can see that the files are there. I can see the lights flashing on the side of the computer when I insert and expell the drive, but the files cannot be read. 

I left the computer unattended for a few minutes, perhaps a vandal screwed up the reader? Or maybe the drives? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot. 

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

P.S. I thought about the region of the drives that I am reading which is not US, but the media I was attempting to

read, although generated elsewhere, used to be readable by the same drive.... 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 406
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad T60p Cd/DVD drive suddenly stopped working

@dareys wrote:

After re-formatting and re-installing the OS on my Lenovo Thinkpad T60p, the DVD drive has stopped working. 

The lasers in Optical drives do wear out, so if it is the original drive in your T60 and has had a reasonable amount of use, it may just be at the end of its life. There are separate lasers for CD and DVD disks, so you might want to see if a CD still reads in your drive.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
dareys
Token Ring
Views: 388
Message 3 of 6

Bill,

I hardly use the driver for either CD or DVD playback. I tried reading both. Same result.

Like I said, I left the computer unantended for a minute. Perhaps sabotage of the hardware? No, I doubt it. Perhaps the drivers are gone? just like my communications drivers disappeared?

I tried downloading the MS Fix it tool to troubleshoot. it is useless. So I am clueless. What do I do:

1. Uninstall the drivers, download and re-install them again?

2. Buy and install a new DVD drive?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

dareys
Token Ring
Views: 363
Message 4 of 6

Fellow IT friends,

Guess what?

This morning I tried the CD/DVD Drive again, and, amazingly, it worked.... I did find a loose screw in the drive bay though. But everything worked perfectly.

A while back, I I openned the laptop to remove the Cingular SIM card and corresponding network card because I cannot subscribe in Mexico, and have no intentions of subscribing in the states, being a longtime Verizon user.

In any case, I had a couple of screws left over after I re-assembled the computer. I guess I was not thorough enough in documenting the screw location piece by piece, and after four hours of surgery, I was too lazy to go back armed with the documentation and find their location.

Anyway, no harm done, the computer has been working fine, as far as the hardware since. The OS on the other hand, hacked a million times over. 

So, I guess maybe somebody was messing with my hardware, and they made the same mistake! LOL. 

Anyway, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem in the future will be appreciated, because there has to be a better way than just replacing the drive right off the bat.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 331
Message 5 of 6

The easiest way to diagnose this is to plug a known good drive in and see if it works. It's common for a failing part like this to work intermintently, so it may indeed be bad. If you need a drive to test with I could send you one, I have more then I will ever use.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
dareys
Token Ring
Views: 305
Message 6 of 6

Bit,

Thank you for the response! The drive has been working normally for the last couple of days but god knows how long things will remain that way. So I am continuing my troubleshooting. FYI, I have not found where the missing screw came from! LOL. 

If you could send me a few drive test utilities, that would be great! I have Hiren's utilities, but have not been successful in making a bootable USB with them, so they are useless to me right now. Incredible I can't move an .ISO to a USB and make it bootable. The story of my life these days...

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors