Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu555
Serial Port
Views: 2,787
Message 1 of 26

Thinkpad - T61 grinding noise from the top left corner

I have got fan error once around 1 month back and after trying to restart for 5 to 6 time it booted up fine. The noise started to come up intermittently if I use the laptop for long time. I got the thinkpad cleaned up as mine is 5 years old and I have used it very rough and long times. Its a beautiful laptop without any problem I should say. I got the thinkpad cleaned up on this weekend from a local technician, and I was scared to see the dust inside the laptop when he had opened it up.  But he has cleaned it nicely and no noise at his place and when I got home it started again. This time its continous noise no matter if I use it long time or not, but before it used to come after using for some time. But now its starting immedialy when we switch it on no matter if its on battery or power. Can anyone suggest me what part I have to replace and if I can do it myself, as I have searched onine and could see 2 different parts for it one is the black fan and the other is the total copper heatsink unit. SO is it like the black fan is inside the heatsink which is making the noise or I should change the whole heat sink. Please suggest me some ideas. I dont have warranty.

Thanks,

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,780
Message 2 of 26

Re: Thinkpad - T61 grinding noise from the top left corner

Sounds like you need a new fan. You can replace just the fan itself, or the heatsink/fan assembly. Replacing either will require reapplying thermal paste to the heatsink. 

It's not a difficult procedure to do, but neither is cleaning out the dust, so if you needed a tech to do the cleaning for you, then you should probably return to him/her for the fan replacement.

You can buy the fan motor very cheap, but they are installed in the heatsink with foil tape, so it's a delicate job to peel back the tape so you can remove the fan and some adhesive and/or sealer may be needed to reseal the tape after the new fan is installed. If you want to replace the whole assembly, then you'll need to make sure you get the correct one for your laptop size and graphic options, there are several different units for the T61 series.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
manu555
Serial Port
Views: 2,768
Message 3 of 26

Hi Tus,

thanks for the update. Can you please advise whether to replace (fan/heatsink) or repair the fan with lubricant etc., to reduce the grinding noise. My issue is fan is working fine and system not getting heated up, I mean ..i find it working normal. Only issue is the continous grinding noise from the fan. So do you think adding lubricant oil to the bearing or in the fan might resolve the issue ? if NO, can u pls tell me which part to replace, is it like the fan inside the heatsink or the total heatsink itself. I guess the heatsink is working fine as the system is not getting heated up and its good that if u just replace the fan as is only the noise in the fan and overall system is good. Need your confirmation, Can u please advise ? Can u pls confirm that there is only 1 fan in the laptop to proceed further. Can u pls suggest if this is the one i need to replace, I found this link in ebay and in one of the lenovo forums.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NW-IBM-LENOVO-thinkpad-T61-CPU-Fan-42W2462-MCF-210PAM05-/170747942957?_trk...

my doubt is the above link which shows the fan (black color) is part of the heatsink which is given here in this link, heatsink 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-CPU-Cooler-IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T61-T61p-Laptop-42W2823-Widescreen-15-4-/...

is that right ? Hope I am clear with my doubt. Also suggest me why is this griding noise of fan soo popular issue as I have seen lot of forums and queries on it ? How can we make sure that it wont start again after we replace the fan ? Can we get a parts warranty if we buy from Lenovo ?

Guru
Views: 2,761
Message 4 of 26

It depends on the graphics device and the T61(p) model:

T61 15.4" widescreen models

• Intel video you'll need the FRU 42W2823.
  • nVidia graphics need fan FRU 42X4685

See: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-68229#24

T61 14.1" widescreen models

•  Intel graphics: FRU 42W2460 or FRU 44C0825
  • nVidia: FRU 42W2462 or 44C0557

See: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-67911#25

T61 4:3 display

• Intel graphics: FRU 42W2821
  • nVidia graphics: FRU 42W2820

see:http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-68208#21

TuuS might correct me, if i'm wrong.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
manu555
Serial Port
Views: 2,753
Message 5 of 26

Hi Morn,

I have asked you so many doubts, and you are just replying with the part #. Is that fair ? I can find out the part no, but please let me know the replies to my query, after reading it once. For your reply, I think mine is 15.4 inch with intel, so the first one is right. But Please go through my questions once again and let me know the reply if you can, I appreciate it.

Thanks

manu555
Serial Port
Views: 2,752
Message 6 of 26

Can you please advise whether to replace (fan/heatsink) or repair the fan with lubricant etc., to reduce the grinding noise. My issue is fan is working fine and system not getting heated up, I mean ..i find it working normal. Only issue is the continous grinding noise from the fan. So do you think adding lubricant oil to the bearing or in the fan might resolve the issue ? if NO, can u pls tell me which part to replace, is it like the fan inside the heatsink or the total heatsink itself. I guess the heatsink is working fine as the system is not getting heated up and its good that if u just replace the fan as is only the noise in the fan and overall system is good. Need your confirmation, Can u please advise ?
Guru
Views: 2,748
Message 7 of 26

Your first ebay - link leads to a T61 14.1" fan for nVidia graphics.

Your second link leads to the 15.4" fan for intel graphics.

(see red marked FRUs in my posting above)

Using a lubricant might help for a short time but is not recommended because it collects dust. The noise is created by a worn wheel bearing of the fan, so it might be the best to replace the heat sink with fan.

That is my opinion.

Addendum:

If the type-no. of  your T61 is one of these

• 6463-
  • 6464-
  • 6465-
  • 6466-
  • 6467-
  • 6468-
  • 6471-

it really has an Intel graphics device and your second ebay -link is the right one.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
manu555
Serial Port
Views: 2,742
Message 8 of 26

Morn, thanks for the update. this makes sense.  I need to buy the complete heatsink for my 15.4 system. Is there any site to order the part to india. Is there any warranty on the part ? Can I order it from IBM website. Please update me the ibm site where I can order the part.  my system details are 6465CTO + 15.4 inch + intel video card + L3-xxxxx + windows 7. Hope this helps to provide the update. I appreciate your response. Thanks once again.

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,718
Message 9 of 26

There is no need to replace your heatsink, all you need is a fan.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
manu555
Serial Port
Views: 2,708
Message 10 of 26

Oh is it, that is good for me. But the part # 42w2823 which you have given is for the heatsink ,am i right ? If this is not my relavant part numbe, please tell me the part # for fan and ebay or amazon link if possible. I appreciate it.

Thanks,