cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
circlehk
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,312
Message 1 of 9

USB keyboard not working before the OS loads after upgrading BIOS on T60...

Hi all,

I have another problem with my T60.

In order to try adding a fingerprint reader, I upgraded the BIOS to version 2.25 last night. The upgrade was successful but, however, my USB keyboard could not function before the OS load, not in the boot screen, nor the BIOS, nor the boot loader menu.

I have double checked the USB option is set to "Enabled" in the BIOS,

What's wrong?

Thanks,

[edited 2009-12-30] deleted extra words in subject line

---
circle from hk
circlehk
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,260
Message 2 of 9

Re: USB keyboard not working in keyboard before the OS loads after upgrading BIOS on T60...

I actually asked the same question in a Chinese Thinkpad user forum (thread here). There is another user tried and experience the same problem in v2.25 of the BIOS. Maybe it's a really bug... How should I report it to Lenovo?

---
circle from hk
AEisma
What's DOS?
Views: 7,205
Message 3 of 9

Re: USB keyboard not working in keyboard before the OS loads after upgrading BIOS on T60...

I have exactly the same problem after updating my T60 1951CZ1's BIOS to v2.25.

After the update, which was successful, I cannot type in the power on password on the USB keyboard attached to the advanced minidock. As soon as WinXP has booted, keyboard and mouse work.

I tried a BIOS reset to factory defaults, but that didn't help.

db64
What's DOS?
Views: 7,178
Message 4 of 9

I have the same problem after the BIOS update too.  My problem is we have disk encryption, and to sign-in to that screen (before O/S starts), I have to open the laptop (on the docking station), type my password, and then close and wait for the USB keyboard to start working once the O/S starts.

Big pain and like others, I went through the BIOS and tried anything remotely related to USB and startup. - Nothing works.

Please post a fix if anyone has found one yet.

Thanks,

asdghj
What's DOS?
Views: 7,062
Message 5 of 9

I had the same issue on my T60 Type 1951-BY8 with BIOS 2.25. I've installed the new BIOS on the day before yesterday and encountered exatly the same: external keyboard is not functioned. BTW I have external fingerprint reader.

The solution was a BIOS downgrade. You can find previous BIOSes here:http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-63024

bottom of the page

After this my keyboard is working again during power-on and boot procedure.

Dear LENOVO - Keep up the good work / careful testing...

circlehk
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,034
Message 6 of 9

Thanks all for the updates...

It seems that Lenovo does not release a fix for this issue yet...

Downgrading would probably be the best workaround if you need a external keyboard...

BTW, I wonder if this is the official channel to report problem to Lenovo?

---
circle from hk
jeffg2
What's DOS?
Views: 6,990
Message 7 of 9

I have a similar problem. I have a ThinkPad T60 1951-F8G running Windows XP with latest Windows updates. I use a USB attached IBM enhanced performance keyboard and Microsoft optical mouse. I recently updated the BIOS to v2.25 and a disk cleanup of my C: drive. On attempting to restart the system, the startup progressed only to the initial Windows XP screen with the 3 blue dots moving very slowly, and startup went no further. I repeatedly powered off the system and attempted restart without success.

I restored the system to an earlier version using ThnkVantage Rescue and Recovery, updated Windows XP to the latest level, and updated Lenovo system software from the Lenovo PC support site using ThinkVantage System Update to the latest level including updating the BIOS to v2.25. Again, I had the mouse and keyboard directly attached to the USB ports in the ThinkPad. All was well until I replugged the keyboard and mouse into an attached Belkin USB 2.0 4-port pocket hub which resulted in a chain of new searches for new USB drivers to install. The next system restart failed, and it was necessary to return to use the last successful configuration. System restart is now decidedly risky with the system freezing at various stages of startup.

Prior to installing BIOS v2.25 I had not encountered any such startup problems. This does suggest that there is a problem with USB support in BIOS v2.25.

jmohr1
What's DOS?
Views: 6,575
Message 8 of 9

Our problem is that we have disk encryption as well and to sign in at the encryption's preboot authentication screen (before O/S starts), we have to open the laptop (on the docking station), hit any key on the laptop's keyboard, which then enables the external usb keyboard.  At that point we can continue to enter the preboot authentication password using the external keyboard.  The only resolution we have found is to connect an external ps/2 keyboard rather than a usb keyboard.  Ideas?  We have a wide range of bios versions, new and old.  We have tried altering settings in the BIOS to no avail.

PhilD
Punch Card
Views: 6,546
Message 9 of 9

Issue previously reported here:

After Bios Upgrade...

and now here too:

Problem with USB-Keyboard

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale