cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goblinbox
Paper Tape
Views: 1,189
Message 1 of 2

Ultrabay HD Caddy - formatting D: drive OK?

I bought a new HD and installed it into my IBM ThinkPad A30. More room: yay!

Then I bought an Ultrabay caddy and put my old drive into it and installed it into the laptop. Now my old drive shows up as my D: drive.

And now I want to format the old drive. But Windows (XP Pro) tells me, "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive and make sure that no other window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting the drive again."

Hmm.

So then I tried this:

1. Go to [Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management].
2. Right-Click the disk and select Format.

...and Windows said, "The volume goblinbox (DSmiley Happy Primary partition is currently in use. To force the format, click Yes."

Can I force the format and still have the D: drive work as a secondary drive, or will the thing disappear?

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Mush

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,168
Message 2 of 2

Re: Ultrabay HD Caddy - formatting D: drive OK?

Yes you can force the Format and Yes the drive will still work as the secondary. Just make absolutely certain that you've selected the correct drive and not the primary drive's secondary partition.

A possible reason you're having difficulties is that your index service is probably accessing the drive.

Regards,

James

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals