Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmupps
Paper Tape
Views: 1,700
Message 1 of 7

Ultrabay HD adaptor problems

I recently had my DVD ram drive replaced under warranty. When the new unit arrived in the mail, I slid it into the ultrabay, only to find that it did not work. Windows kept on attempting to locate driver software for the drive, even though the new drive was identical to the old one. I called tech support only to be told that the best solution was to reinstall windows from the hidden partition. After a couple of attempts at less drastic solutions, I finally did this, as the original install was starting to become slow and buggy. Once the new install was completed, and all updates were installed, the new DVD drive worked fine, however, windows will no longer recognize the volume on the removable hard drive. Has anyone experienced a similar problem in the past? Before the reinstalling the OS, I backed up all my data to this drive. I am able to locate the disk using the Disk management tool, however, this tool shows no volumes on the disk.

System specs

T60p - 8744-J2U

2 ghz dual core

3gig ram

Windows Vista Business.

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,683
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ultrabay HD adaptor problems

not sure what you meant by Volume, also you are having problems with DVD-RW and not Ultrabay Harddrive adaptor are you???
gmupps
Paper Tape
Views: 1,654
Message 3 of 7

When I say "Volume", I mean the space on the disk allocated to storage and assigned a drive number (in this case G:\). The dvd-ram drive works fine. The computer recognizes the hard drive adapter, and the unformated disk, however, it does not recognize the formatted volume (G;\), which I was using with this computer prior to the OS reinstall.
gmupps
Paper Tape
Views: 1,618
Message 4 of 7

Bump...
Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,583
Message 5 of 7

Windows Vista Buiseness is the **bleep**s. After I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64bit all of my problems went away. I was using Vista Busieness 32 Bit. It is a bit of an out lay of money, I realize, but to me it was worth every penny,baht,dracma,rial,dinar ect.ect.

Cheers,

Singtoh

7663-A22,T61 14.1 Wide,T7300 2.0gig processor, 4 gig RAM, 500gig Seagate Hybrid HDD, 200gig Ultra Bay HDD, Ubuntu 64 Bit.
Perihelion
Punch Card
Views: 1,554
Message 6 of 7

If you go into disk management:

Right click on "my computer" select "manage".  Then choose "disk management".

Can you see the volume?  If so, it may be colliding with another drive letter which won't let it map.  Right click on the disk if possible and mapt it to a different drive letter that isn't being used.

Good luck.

gmupps
Paper Tape
Views: 1,541
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the help, however, I managed to figure out a solution after much tinkering. I opened up diskpart.exe, and scanned the system for disks. The removable hard drive showed up as a hidden partition, which is why it wouldn't auto mount, and also why the disk management console wouldn't allow me to do anything when I right clicked on the disk. Using diskpart.exe, I forced the partition to change from type 27 (hidden), to type 07, the same as the main drive. After doing this, the drive mounted without a problem. Hopefully anyone else who has this problem will be able to find this thread.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals