Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tshurts
Paper Tape
Views: 4,354
Message 1 of 3

Unable to control microphone volume on T61 with Windows Vista

Hello All,

When I use an external microphone plugged into the microphone jack, I am unable to control the volume. When I speak into it and listen to the playback, it's all distorted from the excess volume.

If I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices, under the Recording tab it shows Microphone SoundMax Intergrated Digital HD Audio. If I click on it and then click on Properties, it brings up a new window with a Levels tab. On the Levels tab is a slider volume control from 1 to 100. I can slide it back to a lower volume level but it will not stay there. As soon as I start recording, it jumps back to 100. There is an Apply button on that same tab window but it is grayed out.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the recording level to stay at a lower setting?

usenet7
Punch Card
Views: 4,335
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unable to control microphone volume on T61 with Windows Vista

You could check to see whether there is a "mic boost" in one of the tabs.  I have one in a custom tab.  If so, uncheck it if you are getting too much input from the mic.
tshurts
Paper Tape
Views: 4,321
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unable to control microphone volume on T61 with Windows Vista

Usenet7,

Thanks, I already tried that. There is a boost option on one of the tabs. It was unchecked and so I checked it just to see what would happen and the results were not pretty. That was what told me that it was a volume problem in the first place. Thanks for the input.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals