Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwourms
Paper Tape
Views: 3,361
Message 1 of 7

Unable to order recovery cds for used Thinkpad T60p's

I picked up three thinkpad t60p units second hand from my university's surplus auction, but per their policy the hard drives were totally wiped (including all partitions). I have looked up the FRU part numbers (43T8618 & 46V2346) here and wish to purchase the cds & dvds as spare parts. I tried to enter the part numbers here but it said the part could not be found in the database. I then tried calling the phone number on that page (1-800-765-5944), but I kept on getting bumped around to different numbers. I DO NOT wish to pay for a tech support call, I just want to order the parts! In fact I can't call support at all since they require a serial number but I do not have a way to get this information. This is due to the fact that the bios have been password protected but I do not have the bios password (the surplus guys have no clue), the stickers on the bottom having seen better days (serial number is not legible on two and only partially legible on the last), and obviously there is no OS to boot into. The only information I have is the model number (8741-CTO) and the operating system that was on them prior to the wipe (two were xp professional and one was vista ultimate). Anyway, I'm not concerned about trying to get this covered under warranty, as I am prepared to pay for the parts, if only I could actually order them! Please, somebody from lenovo, how the heck do I order these parts?
SeniorGuru
Views: 3,355
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to order recovery cds for used Thinkpad T60p's

@nwourms wrote:
The only information I have is the model number (8741-CTO) and the operating system that was on them prior to the wipe (two were xp professional and one was vista ultimate)... how the heck do I order these parts?

If Lenovo can't help then you might want to consider this option.

Token Ring
Views: 3,329
Message 3 of 7

You can do a search on the web for ways to reset the bios power up password.

if it is a supervisor password the only waty to reset that is to replace sustem bd. If you can read one serial number and model type you can order a set of rcd's.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,315
Message 4 of 7

If the seller cannot provide you with the BIOS supervisor password I would take them back for a refund. You are heading for a headache in the future when thre BIOS battery gets low enough to lose the Power on Password. At that point you will need the supervisor password to continue booting. Without it the T60 is a paperweight.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,307
Message 5 of 7

I will approach your university regarding the bios password, otherwise your laptop will be a liability to you in the future. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
nwourms
Paper Tape
Views: 3,301
Message 6 of 7

Yes, I know all about the supervisor password situation. Unfortunately these were part of 1000+ notebooks the surplus depot was auctioning off in lots and the supervisor password situation seems to have be on departmental level and unique to only a small subset of those sold. This is a state institution and, as such, little details like passwords tend to fall through the cracks. Since they were auctioned off and are no longer university property, the records (such as who had them/serial numbers/etc) were removed from the auditing system. I'm not going to return them because I got them for a song. Thus, I am going to be spending the next couple of months using some of my spare time to track down the department they came from using the tried and true method of trial-and-error. In the mean time, I would like to have them operational and having the supervisor password is irrelevant for this, since the system tries to boot from the optical drive and then the hdd. You know, why can't they put the serial number and what not inside the battery bay where it is less likely to come into contact with foreign substances/greasy hands/sharp surfaces? But more importantly, why is it such a hassle to order these disks? I mean, I have had to order restore disks in the past from HP and it is easy as pie. I just place my order with the parts system online, no serial numbers, no calls to tech support, or any other nonsense needed. Seriously, it isn't like these will work on a non-Lenovo system since you still need a valid key/slic in the system's eeprom. The search continues, but I think I will go the e-bay route for the XP Pro disks. I still need the Vista Ultimate recovery disks, however.

Message Edited by nwourms on 01-31-2009 10:28 AM
SeniorGuru
Views: 3,292
Message 7 of 7

@nwourms wrote:

Seriously, it isn't like these will work on a non-Lenovo system since you still need a valid key/slic in the system's eeprom...

There is still a potential licensing issue. Suppose your T60p came with XP Pro. You can buy a set of Vista Business Recovery media for less than the cost of the official XP to Vista upgrade. Granted that Recovery wipes out your HD so you'd need to reinstall/config your applications.

Just saying...

I've had an ongoing argument with IBM PC (then) division management about their not shipping recovery media with all ThinkPads that goes back to the 770 (and maybe even earlier.) By contrast the el cheapo Dell Vostro 220 that a friend bought a couple of weeks ago came with a full set of recovery discs, including Vista.

Go figure...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors