Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjf626
Paper Tape
Views: 1,181
Message 1 of 5

Upgraded hard drive and lost rescue and recovery function

I upgraded my hard drive to a Hitachi 320 GB using Acronis. When I restored to the larger drive all I got was a blinking cursor in upper left hand corner. I then ran the Paragon disk software and selected boot corrector, problem solved it boots up fine. problem is I can no longer access recovery using the Thinkvantage button or the productivity center. It will let me do a backup but not a restore. I tried the productiviy center the last back up is listed but when I select it nothing happens. I have upgraded the R&R to the latest version as well. Any suggestions?
semiretired
Paper Tape
Views: 1,145
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgraded hard drive and lost rescue and recovery function

I had a similar issue when I used Acronis to clone my existing 80GB hard drive to a 250GB. The first time I tried it, I also got the blinking cursor and a drive read error.

The first time I installed Acronis, I used the 'Custom' option to not install the Rescue Media Builder and the Bart PE plug-in. I uninstalled Acronis and then reinstalled it using the 'Typical' option. I left the Acronis disk in the drive after the reinstall and rebooted as directed. It booted to the disk (it is a bootable disk) and ran the program, which I did not do the first time. The first time I removed the disk before rebooting and ran Acronis with Windows off the desktop. Running it from the disk had a different look, like it was in safe mode, and a screen came up with options like continuing to Windows or running a utility like clone the disk. I chose the clone option and this time it worked. I was using a hard drive docking station connected via usb. All I can say is, running Acronis with Windows failed and I don't know why. The steps I used the second time around did the trick, so that's all I have to offer, as long as you have a hard copy of Acronis and not a downloaded version.

visch1
Punch Card
Views: 1,122
Message 3 of 5

I get a bit confused when references are to disks and hard drive. I’ve been doing this using True Image for years and it works. Load TI onto the original drive, then open TI, it will give the option of making TI Rescue Disk, (CD), make one. Now place new HD, formatted into appropriate partitions into bay and old original HD into HD enclosure, put rescue CD in reader and boot and make your choices. Read each window very carefully as whoever wrote the directions need to repeat schooling from 1st grade. Personally I prefer to make images, save a new complete one weekly stored on another drive. This results is a very fresh replacements and I can go back to last month or whenever if a problem develops or something was trashed 2 weeks ago etc. Also I make the C partition only around 30G and keep all the mps, photos and space hogs on different drives, this way images are only around 5-15G each. GOOD LUCK
pjf626
Paper Tape
Views: 1,111
Message 4 of 5

I did the restore using an Acronis bootable disk not from an installed program.
visch1
Punch Card
Views: 1,093
Message 5 of 5

I downloaded the TI app so had to make mine. It sure would be nice if the whole operation were drag and drop like the Mac used to be. No job security that way though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors