Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaneel
What's DOS?
Views: 4,118
Message 1 of 4

Upgrading the CPU of a Lenovo thinkpad T60/T61

Hi Guys,

I have a two really old school computers which I just love the design of and especially the IBM logo (for the T60)

As opposed to buying a new laptop (which may be cheaper) I would like to upgrad the CPU of my current laptops instead so that I can rock the old school laptops for longer. 

I was wanting to know, what do I look for in terms of relevant code names for a CPU that would fit in the two laptops and how do I find this informations?

I would like to upgrade the two Laptops to the highest spec CPU available for them.

Also, I am aware of the bios needing to be update? I'm not actually familiar with this but I understand that it would need to be done; I would also need some guidance with this too.

Please help me if you can. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,100
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgrading the CPU of a Lenovo thinkpad T60/T61

Upgrading the CPU is the least effective kind of upgrade - more memory or faster disk is a bigger help.

Having said that, T60 CPUs can be core-duo (T2xxx) or core2-duo (T5xxx or T7xxx).  The fastest is T7600.

Most T61 machines use Merom-class CPUs.  They are Core2-duo T5xxx or T7xxx, but they are different from the similar numbers on the T60 - different bus speed.  If you have a Merom board, the fastest CPU is T7800.

Penryn boards take CPUs that are also Core2-duo but have T8xxx and T9xxx CPUs - fastest is T9500. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
shaneel
What's DOS?
Views: 4,096
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply Richk.

I have added more memory and will be installing SSD's in the computers. 

I will look into the processors you have listed and see if I can find one available to me.

Thank you again for your input

fajny
Punch Card
Views: 2,951
Message 4 of 4

x9000 is the fastest cpu available for t61 it looks almost the same on paper as T9500 but there is a reason why there was $500 difference in price . x9000 runs about 30% faster in all tasks , you can google benchmarks .

T60p Frankenpad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals