cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dickybilly
Paper Tape
Views: 429
Message 1 of 6

Upgrading vista32bit to win7ultimate32bit...lenovo R&R 4.5 question after upgrading

I'm upgrading to win7ultimate 32bit from vista32bit pro.

Under vista I've been (happily) using R&R 4.23 ....

when I upgrade to win7U I want to use R&R 4.5

What's clear to me is BEFORE upgrading I'm backing up to external USB drive using R&R 4.23...

Then I'm removing R&R 4.23 and doing the upgrade to win7U. (I'm also removing NIS2014 before the upgrade).

The microsoft win7 upgrade advisor told me some other apps to uninstall before upgrading. Any MUST uninstalls??

NOTE: I considered a clean install to a new HDD but NO I'm doing a 32bit upgrade in place.

Please help me understand AFTER the upgrade the Lenovo Rescue & Recovery installation steps I have to perform to get it working v4.5 under win7U. There seems to be an additional SYSPREP ?? step I've got to follow to get R&R to work but I don't understand the order of the R&R win7 installations ???? What's done first ?? sysprep or install R&R 4.5??

I'd like to use the same external USB HDD I had been using for vista backups, can I or must it be wiped clean of the vista 4.23 backups first  ??? or should I just start with a new backup external HDD ???

Any other in-place vista32pro-win7U upgrade tips ???

Thanks in advance.

Guru
Views: 411
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgrading vista32bit to win7ultimate32bit...lenovo R&R 4.5 question after upgrading

dickybilly wrote:

Any other in-place vista32pro-win7U upgrade tips ???

Just one: do a clean install. You'll save yourself a significant amount of headaches.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
dickybilly
Paper Tape
Views: 402
Message 3 of 6

Re: Upgrading vista32bit to win7ultimate32bit...lenovo R&R 4.5 question after upgrading

Thanks for the suggestion "clean install". Many many people say this but no one gives any info about the "significant amount of headaches" I will come up against.
My current choice is upgrade to win7U OVER vistapro after removing the necessary called for programs.
I understand the registry hives will be full o'crap but I don't consider this a significant headache.
Please give me some idea of the "significant headaches" I will be coming up against before, during, after win7U installation OVER vistapro (both 32bit).
Thanks again.
PS.. I'm upgrading a 4G ram T61 with a 1T HDD installed. There's zero chance I'm adding ram or going to 64bit. I've over 450G of free HDD space available before upgrading.
Guru
Views: 396
Message 4 of 6

Upgrades *always* turn into laggy, buggy installs.

If you're installing W7 over Lenovo's (or any OEM's for that fact) Vista version, you're guaranteed a messed-up MBR. Might not blow in your face right then and there. Might wait a year, or whenever is the most inconvenient time for you.

Unless you're trying to save some obsolete software that you've lost the installation media for and are unable to obtain a copy/license or both, just wipe the drive clean and move on.

My perspective is that time is money. A stable system that won't crash is priceless to most of my customers. Downtime always costs more than the time one would spend on a clean install, updates included.

Your ThinkPad, your call.

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
dickybilly
Paper Tape
Views: 373
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, I appreciate your response.
I am familiar with Hiren's Boot CD and it's programs.'I'm familiar with fixmbr....
If the eventual MBR issues you're describing can be fixed with those tools I'm not worried as I've coped with that problem before.
IF however the MBR issues you're describing go beyone that sort of fix I can understand your concerns.
For me, upgrading vs. clean install is still the way to go.
Also at this point I'm thinking of scrapping future use of Lenovo R&R in win7u and using Macrium Reflect professional v5.2 instead.
Guru
Views: 365
Message 6 of 6

@dickybilly wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate your response.
I am familiar with Hiren's Boot CD and it's programs.'I'm familiar with fixmbr....
If the eventual MBR issues you're describing can be fixed with those tools I'm not worried as I've coped with that problem before.
IF however the MBR issues you're describing go beyone that sort of fix I can understand your concerns.
For me, upgrading vs. clean install is still the way to go.
Also at this point I'm thinking of scrapping future use of Lenovo R&R in win7u and using Macrium Reflect professional v5.2 instead.

I don't believe that I've made one thing clear enough:

Presuming that you're installing W7 over an OEM version of Vista, there's no fixing the MBR by conventional means when something goes haywire.

If you're installing it over retail version of Vista then yes, the usual tricks will work.

Once again - your ThinkPad, your call.

Good luck.

Over and out.

Cheers,

George

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals