Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donnyboy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,760
Message 1 of 4

Using WPA/TKIP with Linksys WRT54G

I cannot connect my R61i using WPA...it gets through everything except the last step, "waiting for IP configuration". 

I can connect my older laptop to the same router using the same security, the Lenovo just doesn't work.  I downloaded everything I could find remotely associated with this from the Lenovo page.

Does this Lenovo not operate under WPA/TKP or am I doing something dumb???

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, donnyboy

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,742
Message 2 of 4

Re: Using WPA/TKIP with Linksys WRT54G

Maybe try uninstalling Access Connections and let Windows handle the connection.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
donnyboy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,730
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the suggestion....will that also delete my ethernet connection at the same time??

donnyboy

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 1,719
Message 4 of 4

assuming that the WRT54G and Intel WiFi adapter have been updated with the latest firmware and driver, respectively... i would then configure both the WRT54G and TPR61i for WPA2 Personal + AES encryption (but disable TKIP).  and as carbon_unit advised, uninstall thinkvantage access connections, as TVAC is not necessary, and can conflict with Windows' native ability to manage the connections, ime.

i've found that installing Intel ProSet for WiFi (which also includes the wireless adapter drivers), can be helpful; it provides a few more options to fine tune the wireless adapter settings.

and beyond the scope of your question... you might also take a look at 3rd party router firmware, like Tomato or DD-WRT, both of which provide more robust & reliable performance than linksys' stock firmware.  it's a straightforward procedure, but be careful to choose the correct firmware for your particular WRT54G (version).

for optimal performance & reliablity, i'd also configure the router and wireless clients for 802.11g only (disable 802.11a/b)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals