Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explodezor
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 1 of 2

Vista t61 refurbished with windows 7 black screen with blinking underscore

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction in trying to figure this out. Not sure if everything I'm going to say will be helpful but since I don't know the problem I figured it won't hurt.

Last year I installed windows 10 and it worked for a few weeks. Eventually it just had the spinning circle ( So long ago I can't remember) and I tried a few ways people suggested to make it work. It didn't. Eventually it showed a different screen telling me to go to a save point (i think) or do a clean install of windows 7. I decided to just do the clean install. The laptop starts up fine I put in the windows 7 product key and the laptop was working. I downloaded chrome and then decided to go to bed. I turn it off and the next day when I turned it on it showed the lenovo thinkpad splash screen then went black. It ends up in an infinite loop of lenovo screen then black (I'm assuming it's restarting) screen. I could get to what I'm assuming the BIOS menu is by getting it to show the "stuck key error press f1." Someone mentioned reseating the ram and I finally got around to it but after that now I get the lenovo splash screen then a black screen with a blinking underscore ( _ ) and it sits that way for a few seconds then does it all over again. 

I'm at a loss. I have no idea if something failed/died nor do I know how to test to figure out if something failed on me. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 298
Message 2 of 2

Re: Vista t61 refurbished with windows 7 black screen with blinking underscore

Hello,

If that is the original hard disk drive inside the ThinkPad T61 from when it shipped with Windows Vista, then it is between eight and eleven years old at this point.  Given that they are mechanical parts, it has quite possibly failed. 

My suggestion would be to replace it with a new hard disk drive, or even an inexpensive solid-state drive, reinstall Windows 7 or Windows 10, followed by your applications, followed by your data from your last backup.  You can then try connecting the old hard disk drive to the ThinkPad T61 with a SATA to USB adapter to see if any un-backed up files are on it, and copy those over, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors