Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EAkamai
Punch Card
Views: 589
Message 1 of 3

Wake on lan - WOL - T61 Problem/Questions - Windows 7 32bit

Having a curious problem trying to get T-61 [8897CTO] to WOL in windows 7 32 bit OS. Same machine using XP has no problems and I suspect the NIC Pro1000 drivers.  Using version 9.13.4.10 dated 3/26/2009 and can't find any newer drivers on support site. Bios settings ruled out because wol works perfectly in XP OS (merely swapping hdds). Some are recommending to use intel drivers and have had success with that. Before going that route I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can help with:

1. The only thing we see for download relating to ethernet lan is something about a patch for energy star 4.0. Don't see anything in the readme about my specific problem (not waking up) but curiously it's about wol. Do I need to install this?   The only problem it seems to address is 'unwanted wakeup events'.  Set the pwr mgt settings to allow wakeup and only magic packet to wake up, but nothing works.  Perhaps this patch will help?

2. I remember to get wol working in xp I needed to enabled PME in NIC adv  properties. No such entry in Win7.

Could that be driver age problem?  Newer drivers may fix? 

3. Trying to wake up with laptop in Adv Docking Station. Could this be a problem for Win7? Using XP was fine in docking station.  I'm confused how the ethernet works for docking station. Does it simply pass the existing NIC through to the interface thereby using same MAC?  Utilities seems to indicate this is the case. That would allow me to use same batch file/packet to wakeup whichever hdd/Win OS I'm using.  I only change IP address in each.

Any help is totally appreciated and I thank everyone for this forum!

P.S.

No doubt would have found out about this snafu earlier but I only now setup the Win7 systems for WOL. 

Also, I don't have any problems with Linux w/WOL.

EAkamai
Punch Card
Views: 499
Message 2 of 3

Twilight Zone Time Again

Wow, been doing this since the late '80's and never run out of crazy unexplainable situations with 'puters. 

Since the simplest & easiest way to troubleshoot this weirdness is to 1st see if the NIC is ready for a packet on the docking station. For some reason, I had thought or assumed it wasn't.  

After confirming this with the XP & Linux drives, I reasoned it had to be the same with the other drives. 

Short story long, it works perfectly now.  Have no idea why all the W7 drives/systems refused to wake up before. 

Apologize for taking up space with this, but I can assure you that it didn't work before but surely does now. 

Tomorrow my mileage may vary Smiley Wink  

EAkamai
Punch Card
Views: 497
Message 3 of 3

Re: Twilight Zone Time Again

The only question I now have is whether or not that Energy Star patch is necessary?
Considering systems are set to ONLY allow a magic packet to wake up, is that necessary?

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals