Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
50GreenDodge
Paper Tape
Views: 6,003
Message 1 of 3

What is my 'Unknown device' in Device Manager? - ThinkPad T40 2374-75U

One more yellow ? to go.  Thanks to the good advice rampant on this forum, I was able to figure out how to install the other drivers I needed.  

This last one is messing with my mind tho.  It's unfair for a problem to not even have a name, doncha think?  

About all I can fathom about this 'Unknown device' is its location:  'on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller'.

I tried the driver for 'Embedded Controller' and when I double click, it takes over the computer and tells me not to shut it down and begins installing 49 fixes.  When I did it, the program got to the 21st fix, and that was as far as it would go.  I shut down the computer after about 20 minutes.  It did not remove the 'Unknown device' remark in Device Manager.

What's a poor boy to do?

Also, Windows is taking forever to load. This was not the case yesterday.  Thanks for all your help.

50GreenDodge in Phoenix

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,963
Message 2 of 3

Re: What is my 'Unknown device' in Device Manager? - ThinkPad T40 2374-75U

Hello,

Have you tried installing the Lenovo System Update software to see if that detects any missing device drivers and offers to install it for you? The latest versions for your ThinkPad T40 Model 2374-75U can be found here on Lenovo's web site.

If if that does not work, you could try going back into the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), selecting the Unknown Device to view its properties and then go to the Details tab, where you should see several values listed in the property sheet for things like "Device Description", "Hardware IDs",  "Compatible IDs" and so forth.  Try using these as search terms in your favorite search engine to see if doing so leads you to a more detailed description of the device, including a manufacturer, brand, model or part number.

Once you have that information, it may be easier to find the appropriate device driver for the unrecognized hardware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
50GreenDodge
Paper Tape
Views: 5,833
Message 3 of 3

Re: What is my 'Unknown device' in Device Manager? - ThinkPad T40 2374-75U

Mr (or Ms) Goretsky:

Thank you for your suggestion about my "unknown device" problem.  I took your advice and I can tell you there are no more yellow things in my Device Manager.  All is well with my dual boot of Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

I apologize for being late in responding.  I've been upgrading my main computer with new hardware and Windows 7.  

Again, thanks.

50GreenDodge in Phoenix

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors