cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,109
Message 11 of 12

Re: When did T4X get reliable GPU/motherboard?

Ben, welcome to the forum,

anyone suffering this should browse the T4x Series board at thinkpads.com. Especially the "stickied" threads "t42 shuts down when I move it" and "Guide: Reflow GPU fix". There is a massive wealth of information to help diagnose and hopefully fix the problem.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

DaveG11th
Punch Card
Views: 1,109
Message 12 of 12

Re: When did T4X get reliable GPU/motherboard?

@bgelb wrote:
Also, is there any further technical detail available on the exact nature of the failure?

I  only know what I read - there are two sticky threads at thinkpads.com inthe ThinkPad T4x Series forum that delve into the GPU problem and fixes:

GUIDE: Reflow GPU fix - 56k warning, http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=57021

t42 shuts down when I move it: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=33952

It seems to be a combination of:

(a) mfrs inexperience with lead-free solder, which is more brittle than lead types

(b) T4x series base design, which is flexible

(c) ATI GPU chip sub-boards, which are solder-balled and apparently have differing coefficient of thermal expansion than the mother board.

The GPU heats and cools, expanding and contracting and stressing the brittle, vulnerable solder ball connections to the mainboard. When the base flexes (as for example, picking the portable up by a front corner, or working on an uneven surface [e.g., your lap]), the compromised joints give way.

Fixes, in order of cost from lowest to highest, range from using Post-Its to bear down on the GPU, to reflowing the original solder by heating the ATI sub-board, to reballing by removing old solder & reballing the sub-board, to mainboard replacement. There's a guy on eBay who claims reballing for $50 and jamiphar on thinkpads.com who reballs at $150.

Lenovo tried to prevent the problem (as did many electronics manufacturers who used ball grid arrays) by using adhesive at the corners of the sub-board. My T42 was built in 12/05 and has the glue reinforcements. People report these with GPU failure as well, so it's not a 100% solution.

Dave

T42 2373-K1U

Windows XP Pro

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors