cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
houstonrice
Paper Tape
Views: 1,164
Message 1 of 3

Z61T Rescue and Recovery (restore factory to original settings)

Hi guys.

I have a backup of my system, with all useful programs installed and documents loaded. This is stored in an external hard drive.

Now, my system was hanging frequently, after a botched disk defragmentation attempt. After trying to repair my system through checkdisk, scandisk and others, I restored my system from the aforementioned backup.

Now, I donot remember the password of the backup system.

I searched online, and Microsoft says that you have to reinstall XP and wipe out everything. This can only be done by choosing the "Restore Hard Drive to Original Factory state" option in the Thinkpad rescue and recovery program.

My Z61T came with an 80 GB hard drive. Later, I put in a 500 GB hard drive, and partitioned it into many partitions, the main one is C:\ which is the XP partition, which is 79 GB in capacity.

The aforementioned backup is of the 80 GB hard drive.

Now, my question is that if I choose " restore to original factory state", will all the partitions in the 500 GB hard drive be wiped out?

houstonrice
Paper Tape
Views: 1,163
Message 2 of 3

Re: Z61T Rescue and Recovery (restore factory to original settings)

My laptop is 9440 CTO S/N L3 AN*(*

The backup that is being spoken of, is a full backup, of Windows XP, essential programs and files, made using the Rescue and Recovery center. It is stored in an external USB drive.

houstonrice
Paper Tape
Views: 1,129
Message 3 of 3

Re: Z61T Rescue and Recovery (restore factory to original settings)

I solved it.

I used an external password breaker to reset the Windows XP password.

I have another problem.

I would like to create a backup of my system as it is now.

When I start the Rescue and Recovery program and I start the backup to an external USB hard drive, it gives me this problem:

"

The last  backup of this system included the following drive letters:

had two drives C: and F:

Your system is Currently backing up these drive letters: 

C,E, F, G and H.

Please set the drive letters as they were previously and retry the backup. You may need to exclude partitions created since the backup"

NOW;

I dont want E F G and H to be backed up . I only want C:\ as it exists right now to be used to create  a backup file.

Thats all.

Note: the original drive, which the error message refers to was 80 GB and I had partitioned it into C and F

Now I have a 500 GB HDD. I'd only like to have a ghost image of C: which is can turn to if my system gets screwed up at any point of time in the future.

I'd like this ghost image to be accessible bby rescue and recovery . (If I use some ghost image creator, it might not be that easy.

I also have LINUX. I could probably create a GHOST image of the WINDOWS C:\ in LINUX, by accessing it from there. And use Linux to restore my system when it has an error.

Restore you computer to the original format and then run the resu

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals