Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhuanglenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,503
Message 1 of 17

Z61m 9-cell lion battery cannot fully charged

It is supposed to be a 9-cell one, but works as a 6-cell now.

It worked fine for the first couple months, but now it can only be charged to 75% around, the most.

I tried quite some cycles by fully discharging it then fully recharging it, but it did not work out.

It is manufactured by Panasonic.

I trid another new 9-cell battery, but still the gauge only shows up to 75% around. It does not make any sense. I suppose it is a battary gauge problem, but resetting it does not help at all.

I even reinstall the whole XP window system, but it did not work.

Any ideas? Solutions? Any upgrade of the gauge software?

jhuanglenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,443
Message 2 of 17

Re: Z61m 9-cell lion battery cannot fully charged

Please Help! Anybody?

Thank you!

MiamiC70
Punch Card
Views: 4,365
Message 3 of 17

You need th 90watt power adapter the one that comes with the laptop is lit 65watts.

iI had same problem with my Z6t, picked up a 90W charger on ebay and was perfect after that.

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,360
Message 4 of 17

The 90 W adapter are for machines with inbuilt ATI or Nvidia graphics card as opposed to the Intel integrated graphics card. Using the higher rating power adapter may or may not solve your problem, do you still have warranty???? What is the battery setting are you using in the power manager????
jhuanglenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,341
Message 5 of 17

But it worked perfectly fine (recharged to 100%) at the beginning, for quite some time! Thank you very much anyway. Maybe it worthwhile to try.
jhuanglenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,333
Message 6 of 17

I do have a 90W adapter. And I have a inbuilt ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. Yes, I do have warranty. But getting a new battery does not solve the problem. I use the default battery setting for the power manager, which means I did not change anything significantly.
jerhardt
Punch Card
Views: 4,043
Message 7 of 17

From what I know and have been told by Lenovo Reps, the 90w power supply is for use with machines that have the ATI or nVidia graphics chipsets AND/OR a 9-cell battery. For example, my T60w (63716MU) has an Intel graphics, however because it came with the 9-cell battery, it also came with the 90w power supply. My z61m came with a 6-cell batter, but the 90w adapter because of the onbaord discrete graphics.

However, if you use your machine in a docking station, then you will also need to use the 90w power supply on the docking station. Using the smaller 60w power supply with the docking station can cause instability, and as noted if you use the 60w power supply with a 9-cell battery, it will never charge to 100%.

J.

Presently with an X201 and a T500/T410 combo
I've owned everything from a 701c up to present which equal a ton of ThinkPads
jhuanglenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,039
Message 8 of 17

Thanks, Jerhardt, I can understand the situation you described.

But to the end, I have 90w power supply with a 9-cell battery, and I do have ATI graphics chipset. It worked initially good up to 100%, but after a while, it won't pass 75% any more, now even 70%. The problem, even worse, is, the situation does not change even I changed to a new 9-cell battery. Something must went wrong somewhere.

jerhardt
Punch Card
Views: 4,032
Message 9 of 17

Don't know if you have access to another battery (6 or 9 cell), but it might be worthwhile trying another battery (the internals of yours could be hooped). Also, how old is the battery and how many cycles on it.

(You can find out all that information in the Power Manager) - you may have a warranty issue if it's new (less than a year).

I have a T61 which is slightly older than an year, and the 6-cell battery will only charge to 75% - even if it's inserted into a similar machine (model number).

Presently with an X201 and a T500/T410 combo
I've owned everything from a 701c up to present which equal a ton of ThinkPads
jhuanglenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,025
Message 10 of 17

The battery is only 10 months old with 44 cycles used.

I tried new battery, which is also only recharged to 75%.

I am interested at any of your solutions with your 6-cell battery. Is it still 75% or did you find any solution?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors