Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtylka
What's DOS?
Views: 3,085
Message 1 of 7

Z61m Recovery

I tried to recover my Z61m (9450-D9U) using Rescue and Recovery. First, I tried recovering to the factory state, but it said it received a "system error" on the last CD. Then, I tried using the WindowsXP installation disk, but it said that it couldn't find an installed hard drive. Then I tried recovering it using the set of CDs that I had last used to perform a full Rescue&Recovery backup. That finished OK, but then when it went to boot from the hard drive it said that it couldn't find "hal.dll".

Does anyone have any suggestions before I call Lenovo? (It is still under warranty, so at least there's that)

Thanks in Advance.

-Rich 

keff
Punch Card
Views: 3,053
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z61m Recovery

Hi,

can't help You with your Rescue&Recovery CD - but Your Windows XP installation can't see your hard drive because in BIOS you have set Serial ATA as AHCI. Go to the BIOS and set it to "compatible" - then windows installer will see your hard drive. 

Bye

Z61m 9450-GDG T5500 3GB (2x2GB but 32-bit systemSmiley Sad ),160GB Seagate, 6cell, Windows 7 RC 7100
W520 4282-PQ7
Dygear
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,030
Message 3 of 7

However, once you set it into compatibility mode your stuck with the slower interface as well. I would recomend setting up nLite install with the drivers you needed.
rtylka
What's DOS?
Views: 3,017
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the "compatibility" tip. That worked!

What is nLite and how would it help with this install?

And in the meantime, Lenovo is sending me a new set of Rescue and Recovery CDs. Since I know now that I can get XP installed from the XP installation CD, I think I'll try using the new Recovery CDs to get it back to the factory install and if that doesn't work I'll go back to the XP installation CD.

Dygear
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,012
Message 5 of 7

nLite is basicly a way of making a Bootable Windows Installation CD with all of the Drivers needed for your Computer plus it also intergrates all of the Windows Updates Directly onto the CD. This makes Installation over mutliple computers much faster and it allows you to make a more custom ready to run experance for your hardware as you can place the most up to date drivers into the Installation that would offer better stability or better proformance then what you would get out of the Rescue & Recovery CDs / Partition.

In your case, you can slipstream the AHCI ("Advanced Host Controller Interface") Drivers right onto the CD so that you don't require the F6 Floppy. (As bascily no computers theses days ever have a floppy drive installed, it's the most useful feature for your self and your compter.)

keff
Punch Card
Views: 3,008
Message 6 of 7

@Dygear wrote:
However, once you set it into compatibility mode your stuck with the slower interface as well. I would recomend setting up nLite install with the drivers you needed.

That's not true. I've already install ahci mode on my Fresh XP installation. I was do that in three simple steps: 

1. In unpacked Lenovo Inter Matrix Storage Manager Driver C:\Drivers\win\imsm\prepare RUN install.cmd script.

( I'm not sure this step is required)

2. Reboot notebook and set AHCI mode in BIOS 

3. Boot windows in emergency mode(F8), after prompt new device install driver from the c:\Drivers\win\imsm

After that reboot your system and enjoy your AHCI drivers. 

Message Edited by keff on 01-08-2009 07:28 AM
Z61m 9450-GDG T5500 3GB (2x2GB but 32-bit systemSmiley Sad ),160GB Seagate, 6cell, Windows 7 RC 7100
W520 4282-PQ7
Dygear
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,996
Message 7 of 7

Ah, very good, I was under the impression that your very much stuck with the slower interface. Makes sense now that I think about it, update your drivers and go.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals