Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vichux
Paper Tape
Views: 918
Message 1 of 2

hard disk space Z61t

Have two major problems.

I have a 120GB drive, and have only 50GB of programs in it and the properties show only 10G available. The laptop came in with Vista, and I removed it and installed XP using IBM recovery disks supplied by IBM. How does one get back the last space? I am using only 3% for system restore.

On the same subject, how does one install a larger drive, say a 250GB SATA and transfer the OS on to that drive? I do have the XP Key supplied by IBM and verified by Microsoft. I am told that the system restore wil not work when drives are changed.

Thanks for the help

vichu

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 899
Message 2 of 2

Re: hard disk space Z61t

Welcome to the forum!

How did you removed the initial Vista installment and did you performed some repartitioning afterwards?

In order to transfer the OS and restore partition onto another bigger drive then use instead some suitable imaging software, like Acronis TrueImage for example, for these tasks. Backing up an full image of all partitions is best performed via the help of some external connected drive or a local net reachable drive,  to which you can write the images and from which you can later reinstall/restore the contents of the images to the new bigger drive.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors