Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jensen_G
Paper Tape
Views: 967
Message 1 of 8

help on error messages after spill on T61

Hey All, I'm working on a T61 that got coffee spilled on it. Detached the trackpad apparatus and keyboard and got everything dried out and cleaned (as best I could), and now trying to assess whether the computer can be salvaged.  The computer will boot up and seems to work fine IF booting from a CD (booted off some test disks which ran great). However, some big issues here:

When booting from the hard drive, a moment after the Windows XP Professional progress bar starts (which would normally preempt the login screen) I get the blue screen of death with a "STOP: 0x0000007B" error. This will restart the computer, and then if I let it, it will get back to the same spot and give the error again (ad infinitum).

I ran chkdsk from the microsoft recovery console (using an XP install CD) and it didn't find anything wrong with the HD. I also ran the pc-doctor software (booted from a cd) that Lenovo recommends, and it found one error: "LPT 1 Command And Data Port failed" (I googled it and I couldn't figure out definitively if this meant anything was actually wrong or not).

So, this seems to clearly be a hardware issue give that it started happening after a spill. But given the above, does anyone have an idea exactly what might be wrong, and if there is a hope of recovering use of the computer? Being able to use the computer again is the goal, as data on the computer was for the most part backed up.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 955
Message 2 of 8

Re: help on error messages after spill on T61

try disabling the legacy support from the bios menu.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Jensen_G
Paper Tape
Views: 946
Message 3 of 8

Not sure where to do this. The only place in the BIOS where I see a reference to legacy support is under docking station options ("legacy devices on mini-dock") and disabling this option is still not allowing me to boot from the HD (blue screen of death as described above).

Please explain your advice further - thanks!
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 928
Message 4 of 8

that was a hunch that i had, it didn't work.

My friend told me that you maybe able to get the laptop working by getting a ultrabay hdd adapter and run the hdd from the ultrabay. But that is just a suggestion only.

I would guess that you shortcircuited something relating to the hdd control on the laptop, which is why you are having the problem.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 932
Message 5 of 8

Jensen_G, welcome to the forum,

Did you remove the CMOS battery whilst cleaning / drying your T61?  The 7b error code is often due to not having the SATA driver installed.  Take a look at the SATA status in the BIOS Config > SATA menu, set it to compatability if it's not already set to it.

Link to KB article

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Highlighted
Jensen_G
Paper Tape
Views: 901
Message 6 of 8

Wow, setting the HD settings back to compatibility mode worked! I was getting ready to chuck the laptop, but in fact it looks like all it needed was this tweak. Laptop now is working great. THANK YOU!
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 895
Message 7 of 8

I was going to ask you to donate it to me rather than chucking it, but decided otherwise Smiley Wink  Glad everything's up and running Smiley Very Happy

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

AlexKu
Paper Tape
Views: 343
Message 8 of 8

Thanks a lot for your advice, it helped me to restore my T61 functionality after my little son spilled some water on it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals