Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,653
Message 1 of 15

need help in diagnosing 1 long beep 2 short beeps

I know this usually means video card is bad. I need to know if disconnecting internal video cable on working system will give the same symptom to help isolate problem between display and video card
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,646
Message 2 of 15

Re: need help in diagnosing 1 long beep 2 short beeps

1 long and 2 shorts is one of three things,  Planar, lcd assembly, or memory. 

jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,641
Message 3 of 15

I understand that it can be the vga card plugged into the system board also and I was looking for help in isolating between the vga card and the display. I already know that the system board and memory are ok.
techcafe
802.11n
Views: 3,630
Message 4 of 15

not exactly sure; the 1long + 2short beep diagnostic is somewhat generic, it could be almost anything (on the mainboard, including GPU).

and Lenovo ThinkPad Beep Codes and ThinkWiki Beep Codes have conflicting information about the 1long/2short

you haven't said what machine, but assuming it's a T6x series,  do you have it docked with an external video card?  the onboard GPU is not socketed (it's soldered to the mainboard), so the only way to disable it (that i'm aware of) is via the BIOS (assuming an external video adapter in a dock is also available for further troubleshooting).  i don't think that disconnecting the display panel (flat) cable is likely to help diagnose the problem, but while you're at it, you might want to make certain that it is seated/connected properly.  i know that where the display cable connects to the socket on the back of the lcd panel is a tight fit, and the connecter itself locks into place (when mated).  you've checked the lcd cable for damage and/or proper connectivity, i assume?  what about external monitor to the VGA port... have you tried that?  FN-F7 key presses may be necessary to toggle the video hardware b/w the internal/external displays.

jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,617
Message 5 of 15

My bad. I posted this in the wrong catagory. The unit I'm working on is a G41 which has a plug in vga card. I've isolated problem to vga card or laptop display and am trying to isolate further before ordering parts.
jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,614
Message 6 of 15

Need help in diagnosing 1 long beep and 2 short beeps G41 99u

I have proven the memory and system board are ok. Need to isolate between the vga card and internal display. Does anybody know what error symptom you get when you unplug the display cable from the vga card? Will you get the 1 long 2 short beep sequence or something different?

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 3,606
Message 7 of 15

Re: Need help in diagnosing 1 long beep and 2 short beeps G41 99u

plug your system into an external monitor (via the vga port) to test the GPU (video card) 

you may need to press FN F7 to toggle b/w internal/external display

plug the external monitor into the computer and turn it on, before powering up the thinkpad. if you get a good image on the external monitor, then chances are the video adapter is ok.

does anything appear on the lcd panel?  backlighting on?

jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,584
Message 8 of 15

Nothing on LCD or external monitor. Still would like to know the answer to my original question in case a failing LCD or inverter card can cause the vga card to not function.. 
Guru
Views: 3,581
Message 9 of 15

Failing LCD or inverter will NOT affect the GPU, or external VGA output.

Chances are that NVidia in your G41 has gone south.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
techcafe
802.11n
Views: 3,577
Message 10 of 15

methinks you need to learn to read a little better too... cheers
Top Kudoed Authors