Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,703
Message 11 of 15

Re: need help in diagnosing 1 long beep 2 short beeps

Knowing for sure that I would see something on an external display if the LCD was causing the POST errors makes me willing to invest in an nvidia card. Thanks ajkula66 for the help. Out of curiosity, do you know what error, if any, disconnecting the LCD cable from the video card will cause? 
Guru
Views: 1,696
Message 12 of 15

Usually, none.

Not to scare you, but I've seen G41 machines where everything pointed to the GPU problem, and the issue ended up being the planar itself, so don't spend too much money on the replacement GPU.

Good luck.

Message Edited by ajkula66 on 01-27-2009 12:15 AM
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,685
Message 13 of 15

Had a chance to pick up a spare planar a couple of yrs ago and installed and tested it then. Been on the shelf til now and with it in, still get the same failure. That's why I had questions about isolating LCD vs NVidia. Thanks again.
attrium
What's DOS?
Views: 1,512
Message 14 of 15

Hi,

I have the same beep issue with my G41. But it happens when I restart. It just beeps and that's it. I have to shut it down from the startup button and then start it again. Only then it sturts up to windows. Also vertical lines started to appear on my LCD screen 7 of them already, and of different colors. As I have learned the LCD is starting to go out. However does that have anything to do with the beeps, or is there any connection between the two and the troubled startup?

On the other hand, because of the above issue, I have bought another G41 from eBay. It worked fine until I did a system update.

After system update, the computer charges up, I can hear the Windows startup music, but I cannot see anythng. The LCD has backlight, but nothing else. So now I have two computers, and none of them work properly. Smiley Happy Is it just a display issue that I could fix, from BIOS (couldn't so far...) or from the Rescue and Recovery, or somethng went out in the computer? Also I have tried to connect an external display to the computer, but I get the same backlight, nothing else.

Can anyone help me out with the above problems? At least to fix one of the computers. Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Regards,

attrium

jbrucegordon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,428
Message 15 of 15

Once again I had to relearn that "you get what you pay for". Ordered an inexpensive "refurb" Nvidea card from a distributor and came up with the same results. Finally bit the bullet and got one factory direct through Spare Parts Warehouse and it works like a charm.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors