Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jono_rules329
Paper Tape
Views: 1,299
Message 1 of 8

t61 hard drive replacement for noobs

i have a t61 7663 and i want to upgrade the hard drive

i currently have a WDC WD1200BEVS-08RST2 ATA  and i was just wondering what infomation i need to purchase new hard drive

i know it needs to be a sata, 2.5' , ata  but do i need to no the right size to fit into the laptop?

i am looking for 500gb if anybody has any suggestions

thanks

Vince69
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,262
Message 2 of 8

Re: t61 hard drive replacement for noobs

Hello mate,

Any SATA 2.5" 9.5 mm height will do. You can put 500Gb in even1Tb.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

jono_rules329
Paper Tape
Views: 1,259
Message 3 of 8

thanks tones mate

L_Wightman
What's DOS?
Views: 1,058
Message 4 of 8

The hard drive on my T61 8897-CTO is failing, and I want to replace it. The current drive is a Hitachi 7200 rpm 100 Gb, SATA model HTS722010K9SA00.  How can I be sure I am buying a compatible replacement drive?  For example, I found one described as follows:  "Western Digital Scorpio Black wd5000bpkt 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive" -- but how do I know it will fit and work in my machine?

I apologize for what must seem like a simple question, but when it comes to replacing hard drives, I am indeed a newbie.

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,049
Message 5 of 8

What operating system are you running?

That wd5000bpkt drive is an "advanced format' drive with 4k-byte sectors. This can cause real performance issues with XP, and may require some driver tweaking even with Win 7.
There is a partition alignment tool that can be run to help with XP, but it still isn't optimal.
Best to find a non-AF drive if you can. It's difficult to tell from the specs what is and what isn't. Some drives might be either even though they have the same part number - I just got burned by that.
Most manufacturers are going to AF drives - especially in the larger sizes.
Any 2.5" 9.5mm SATA drive will fit in your machine.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

L_Wightman
What's DOS?
Views: 1,030
Message 6 of 8

Oops.  I went ahead and ordered the drive to get the order in before the weekend.  But I'm running XP, so that looks like a mistake....

Thanks for your anwer, though.

If they don't work for XP, and hardly work for 7, who are they being made for?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,025
Message 7 of 8

They work for Windows 7 - just not for me Smiley Sad  The AF drives allow more bits per sq cm (not as much error correction overhead with 4k sectors) so that's the way large drives are going.

Seriously, Windows 7 is supposed to support them, but there were some issues.  Those have been fixed in W7 SP1, but on my machine the storage driver didn't update properly and caused problems.   I have them fixed now.

You aren't completely out of luck with XP.  If you run the alignment tool it should help a lot.  I'm not totally clear on whether performance will be 100% after that.  If the OS reads and writes 4k of data per cluster (the NTFS norm, IIRC) and the partitions are aligned correctly it _may_ be OK.

Here's a link to the WD page discussing cloning and alignment.  They imply that if done right it will be OK on XP:

Advanced Format Software

They provide a WD-labeled version of the Acronis clone and align tools.  Should get you going.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

L_Wightman
What's DOS?
Views: 947
Message 8 of 8

Well, it's done.  I've replaced the hard drive, and the WD Acronis cloning process did the alignment as well.  So far, so good.  Thanks for your help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals