Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manhattan
What's DOS?
Views: 808
Message 1 of 4

z61m screen

Greetings

For the last week or so my screen has had fuzzy multicolored haze on it in an assortment of plaids and stripes.

Just yesterday it reached its worse point ever and after a few minutes the screen froze, went black, then came back blue with white typing and read something to this effect:

"Hardware malfuntion contact vendor...."

or something like that. The computer still turns on exactly as it did when it was operating correctly.

I am headed out of the country soon and I have VERY important documents to retrieve from my hard drive. Some one PLEASE help me I will be extremely greatful!!!!!!

Regards,

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 797
Message 2 of 4

Re: z61m screen

Hi Manhattan, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

If your primary goal is to get the documents off the system, you could put the hard drive in a USB enclosure ($20 from JandR e.g.), plug it into another PC, and copy the files. 

If you want the Z61M fixed, send it to Lenovo if it's still under warranty. The turnaround is usually a few days if they have the parts. If it's not under warranty, there are many repair shop options in Manhattan.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Manhattan
What's DOS?
Views: 785
Message 3 of 4

Banana man

Thank you so much for the response. Your advice has definitley given me hope.

My question, will a USB enclosure work even if the screen is black? will it do it automatically?

Please let me know

Regards,

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 782
Message 4 of 4

You will need to remove the drive from the Z61m. Here's a movie showing you how:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-61295

Then you put it in a 2.5" SATA  USB enclosure, and plug it in to another computer. From the other computer you should be able to see and retreive your files.

There is still a chance that your hard drive has problems, but the symptoms you describe sound display or graphics-related.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, and your files are valuable, you should consult Lenovo, a Lenovo partner, or a professional computer repair shop.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals