cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roballan
What's DOS?
Views: 391
Message 1 of 6

4K resolution not available on 2nd monitor with ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen / Thunderbolt-3 Dock

My ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Generation has an Intel UHD 620 Graphics Card -which I realise has no standalone GPU. Nonetheless, pior to my purchase of the whole setup I was led to believe that it would still be adequate to run my two 4K monitors (connected by Display port through my TB-3 Dock which is the 40AC model).

Unfortunately, after setting the first (primary) monitor to 3840 x 2160 the highest resolution setting offered for the second monitor is only 1920 x 1080. This is a real disappointment because having two 4K monitors was the most compelling reason for me to spend the money on upgrading my system in the first place.

Ironically, my predecessor setup (which was a Dell latitude with an E-port replicator) just received driver / firmware updates about 3 weeks ago. It is now comfortably able to run the two monitors both at 4K resolution simultaneously; even though it does not have any Thunderbolt or USB-C interface at all. This is a real kick in the balls to be quite honest, because I feel as though I spent money for nothing!

Please can anyone suggest whether there's something I am doing wrong here? Is there a special updated needed to allow full resolution on both monitors? Any help would be much appreciated.

Guru
Views: 381
Message 2 of 6

Re: 4K resolution not available on 2nd monitor with ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen / Thunderbolt-3 Dock

Could I please ask which make / model of Thunderbolt 3 Dock you are using to connect up the two monitors?

Thanks

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
roballan
What's DOS?
Views: 355
Message 3 of 6

Re: 4K resolution not available on 2nd monitor with ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen / Thunderbolt-3 Dock

Hi, thanks for offering to help. The TB-3 is Type 40AC and the part number is: ZBK081Y1

I have already run all the FW updates and also the TB driver in windows. My X1 Tablet Gen3 is running windows 10

Highlighted
jack860
802.11n
Views: 343
Message 4 of 6

Hi Can you review how you have connected the displays based on the lenovo guidelines here

roballan
What's DOS?
Views: 272
Message 5 of 6

Hi Jack, my two 4K displays are connected to the DP1 and DP2 ports respectively on the back of the 4AC docking station. The screen on the notebook itself is closed, so there's only the two 4K screens that are running off separate Display Port cables (not daisy-chained).

According to the link you sent me, I should be able to select 3840*2160@30Hz for each display. However, the "Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel" won't give me that option. I cannot even select that under the custom resolution option. It let's me enter those parameters; but will not apply them.
roballan
What's DOS?
Views: 271
Message 6 of 6

On the drop down menu under general settings, I can only select 59Hz or 60Hz for the refresh rate.

Display-1 can get up to [3840x2160] but only at either of those two refresh rates, which mean I can't select higher than 1920 x 1080 on the second screen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors