Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 1 of 9

Bluestacks: Run Android apps on W8 today!

2013-02-13, 16:49 PM

From the article linked below, titled "Run full-screen Android apps on Windows 8 tablets now:" 

"Surface users frustrated by the lack of quality apps in the Windows 8 Store can breathe a sigh of relief. Rescue comes in the form of BlueStacks, the startup which had previously launched the App Player software for PCs and Macs, allowing those systems to run all Android apps...   Bluestacks has released a version of its App Player optimised for the Microsoft Surface Pro tablets as well as others running Windows 8. The move comes hot on the heels of BlueStack’s distribution agreements with major players in the PC ecosystem, including deals with Asus and Lenovo, which will see the software pre-installed on over 100 million PCs in 2013."

http://tech2.in.com/news/tablets/run-fullscreen-android-apps-on-windows-8-tablets-now/756682

That is juicy... I have so many Android apps I thought I would never be able to use on my TPT2... Hope this is correct!

JC

Options

4468 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12850 Signins

187631 Page Views

• Views: 187631
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Bluestacks: Run Android apps on W8 today!

2013-02-13, 18:07 PM

wrote:

That is juicy... I have so many Android apps I thought I would never be able to use on my TPT2... Hope this is correct!

Restrain your enthusiasm a bit. This isn't a panacea. As it happens I found out about BlueStacks a couple of days ago. I installed the regular version on a standard ThinkPad (T430s running Win7-64) and the SPro version on a TPT2.

The standard version seems to work fine but the SPro version hangs when started on the TPT2. I haven't spent any time investigating why the SPro version does this. It may be something simple.

From what little use I've made of the standard version so far, it does seem to work. The problem is that it can't handle most Android apps that use specialized hardware. As a result most utilities aren't supported. Also as far as I can see it's only possible to install Android apps that BlueStacks offers. You can't (or at least I couldn't) just go to Google Play and start installing whatever meets your fancy.

So for now, assuming I can get the SPro version to work on the TPT2, it's mostly games, news/weather feeds and the like that can run on BlueStacks.

But note that I haven't spent much time on this. It's possible I've overlooked something obvious.

Nevertheless, this is good news for TPT2 users. It's still early days so I imagine they'll address the issues I've mentioned above.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

4468 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12850 Signins

187631 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2013-02-13, 18:59 PM

BlueStacks has a support forum: https://getsatisfaction.com/bstk

It seems the hang-on-start issue is a common one, especially with CloverTrail-based tablets, including the TPT2. See for example Black screen, no function, win8, atom tablet (app player)

Also it seems that it is possible to hack Google Play into BlueStacks and then download/install apps from there.

It's still early days. I don't think this is ready yet for the TPT2. 

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2013-02-13, 19:21 PM

Thanks.  I also found the forums, including a thread which provided a link to an older version of Bluestacks that I can confirm does work on the TPT2.  Here is that link, for anyone inclined to test it out.

http://www.bluestacks.com/download2_german.html

The link says German, but the software installs in English.

I am working from the threads in XDA Developers to apply the Google Play Store hack, but no success yet.  The hack is intended for a more recent version than the one linked aboove, I think.

It is not a panacea, but it is interesting and potentially a huge incentive for people to adopt W8 tablets if it can be made to function well.  Bluestacks website indicates that they hope to offer Apple store apps that can run on Windows by the end this year.  That will be big news...

JC

Options

4468 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12850 Signins

187631 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2013-02-13, 19:37 PM

wrote:

http://www.bluestacks.com/download2_german.html

The link says German, but the software installs in English.

That's a 98MB download, about 10x the size of the current one. They must include their kitchen sink in that :smileywink:

It is not a panacea, but it is interesting and potentially a huge incentive for people to adopt W8 tablets if it can be made to function well.  Bluestacks website indicates that they hope to offer Apple store apps that can run on Windows by the end this year.  That will be big news...

I wasn't trying to suggest that BlueStacks isn't significant news. It is. It's just not ready for prime time on the TPT2 -- yet! I'm confident that they'll resolve the CloverTrail issues soon, especially now that they have a deal with Lenovo.

Imagine how attractive Win8 tablets could become if they could run standard Windows apps, new "Metro" apps, Android apps and Apple apps all at once.

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2013-02-13, 19:44 PM

wrote:

Imagine how attractive Win8 tablets could become if they could run standard Windows apps, new "Metro" apps, Android apps and Apple apps all at once.

I am right there with you!

My modest hope is that the Gmail app will work well, and that it will be able to browse/attache files from My Documents.  (I don't know if the emulator only operates within its own virtual environment or can access the entire drive.)  The W8 mail app is so thin on functionality that I just run my gmail from the browser.  However, this is not ideal for finger touch, since the links and such are so relatively small on the TPT2 screen...

JC

Options

4468 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12850 Signins

187631 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2013-02-13, 20:28 PM

jchammerpants wrote:

My modest hope is that the Gmail app will work well, and that it will be able to browse/attache files from My Documents.  (I don't know if the emulator only operates within its own virtual environment or can access the entire drive.)  The W8 mail app is so thin on functionality that I just run my gmail from the browser.  However, this is not ideal for finger touch, since the links and such are so relatively small on the TPT2 screen...

I've installed an Android file manager using BlueStacks. I can see the emulated Android file system as directories in /sdcard/. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to browse through the Windows file system from within BlueStacks. Maybe someone will develop an app for that... :smileywink:

I also installed the Android version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. When I click a PDF on my emulated "SD Card" it displays it using the Android app. On a Windows [7] PC! :smileyvery-happy:

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2013-02-13, 20:44 PM

No luck on Play Store yet, but there is a work-around via an official BlueStacks app on the play store, which will let you push apps from your Android tablet/phone to your linked Bluestacks device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluestacks.appsyncer&hl=en

I tried to push the Play Store app, but it didn't work.  Doh!

JC

Options

1 Posts

03-07-2021

United States Minor Outlying Islands

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 9

Re:Bluestacks: Run Android apps on W8 today!

2021-03-07, 21:25 PM

When I am using the blue stack app for my laptop. The app can slow my laptop or something wrong with my laptop? need recommendations?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms