Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmakow
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 41 of 49

Re: Camera Sensor OV8858 and OV2740 driver problem - Thinkpad X1 tablet 2nd gen

Just to let you know how my story ended. In Poland IBM provides support for tablets not offered in the country. They repaired my device. The motherboard had to be replaced. After this everything works fine. Big thanks to Polish IBM team. It took them only 3 days to bring parts and do the job. 

Verhoeks
Paper Tape
Views: 435
Message 42 of 49

I finally decided to send my Thinkpad tablet for repair, also because I was getting power problems with the device.

I had to send it in TWO TIMES :-(

First time to repaired the camera problem, and forgot to repair the power issue.

The repair (withint warranty) was done quickly: 5-6 days within collecting it at home and sending it to the repair senter in Poland.

So finally I can take pictures and make Skype calls again with the tablet.

Joost

Mrduque
Paper Tape
Views: 319
Message 43 of 49

for Thinkpad X1 tablet 1st gen users and for those who unfortunately cannot have access to Lenovo costumer service in their areas:

I have managed to get the front camera (Camera Sensor OV2740 in the device manager) working by installing the driver 30.14251.7127.2876  date: 2016/8/26

I'm still trying to find my way through getting the rear camera (Camera sensor OV8858) working. This issue is clearly a software problem as the users above have said, I feel that the service center is unable to deal with that so they just install te whole motherboard again to try to solve it. 

atiqnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 308
Message 44 of 49

@Mrduque wrote:

for Thinkpad X1 tablet 1st gen users and for those who unfortunately cannot have access to Lenovo costumer service in their areas:

I have managed to get the front camera (Camera Sensor OV2740 in the device manager) working by installing the driver 30.14251.7127.2876  date: 2016/8/26

I'm still trying to find my way through getting the rear camera (Camera sensor OV8858) working. This issue is clearly a software problem as the users above have said, I feel that the service center is unable to deal with that so they just install te whole motherboard again to try to solve it. 

Could you please provide the download link?

Also what is your windows version (as in what lastest windows 10 updates did you install)?

Mrduque
Paper Tape
Views: 297
Message 45 of 49

I just solved the whole camera problem a moment ago (after 8 hours of failed solutions) I'll post some pictures and the instructions soon.

atiqnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 294
Message 46 of 49

@Mrduque wrote:

I just solved the whole camera problem a moment ago (after 8 hours of failed solutions) I'll post some pictures and the instructions soon.

I just tried updating the driver version as mentioned in the previous message, alas, it was unsuccessful. Same error / Device manager has a triangle against the 2 camera sensors.

Smiley Sad

Mrduque
Paper Tape
Views: 252
Message 47 of 49

SOLUTION FOR OV8858 AND OV2740 DRIVER PROBLEM (LENOVO THINKPAD X1 TABLET 1ST GEN) 

I understand why costumer service also had issues finding the solution to this problem. the issue itself is quite trivial, the cameras stop working after updating them because one of the drivers (INTEL(R) AVStream Camera 2500) fails to install successfully (at least in my case), the only thing that has to be done is to manually take the new driver files and put them in their respective folders.

Now I have to say that I formatted my laptop before atempting to do this process, I don't know if the same result is possible without doing it so. You will also have to manupulate files in the system32 folder so be really careful of everything you change or delete.

Being that said, let's begin:

Step 1: go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com  and use your serial number to find the camera drivers, you can find your serial number by checking the lenovo advantage app (make sure you deactivate automatic updates to prevent future problems) 

Step 2: Click on 'Drivers & software' and then look for the driver

• Intel Skycam Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Tablet (Types: 20GG, 20GH)
  • 05 Oct 2018

Step 3: Once downloaded open the wizard and choose the location for decompression (the installer basically decompresses the driver files first and then tries to copy them into the system folders)

捕获.PNG

In my case that's the location where the driver files will be decompressed (we will get to them in a moment)

捕获.PNG

This second window will appear after the first one finished decompressing, just press next and wait for it to move the files to t he system folders. One of the files is supposed to NOT be installed sucessfully, iacamera64. This is the beginning of our problems.

Step 4: After finishing the previous steps, OV2740 and OV8858 should be fine so don't focus on them 

a.PNGas.PNG

ad.PNG 

You will notice that AVStream camera will be the driver with issues (it didn't really update) so we will procede to disable it and check its files in the device manager.

Step 5: Open the folder with the decompressed files for the drivers from the first step, System32,  SysWOW64, and keep the list with the files of AVStream Camera opened. You will have to copy the files from the new driver and replace them in the two system files that i just mentioned. this will take some time since you need to check that you are putting the new files in the locations mentioned in the device manager

c.PNGx.PNGz.PNG

Recommendations

• Focus only in replacing the files of those locations, don't touch the other ones if you find them in folders different to the stated ones.
  • The folder with the new driver files does not have all the files in the device manager list so just skip them (do not delete them or change their names) if you happen to find yourself in that situation.
  • some files in the system folders such as cilkrts20_32.dll have a slightly different name in the new driver folder. (cilkrts20_64.dll) changing that 64 with a 32 while making sure it replaces the old file will do the trick.

Step 6: Follow my recommendations step by step until you finish replacing the files in the list, enable the AVStream Camera again, and restart your laptop.

aas.PNGk.PNG

Those are the updates my laptop has had so far (Installed in 30/07)

I hope that helps somehow, My apologies for the system language, my device is single language edition.

Mrduque
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 48 of 49

check my new post
Highlighted
atiqnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 121
Message 49 of 49

Thank you so very much for taking the time for posting this.

I have a gen 1 machine and I did follow the instructions to the best of my ability. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Perhaps because I'm a novice at this and or a combination of the fact that my machine is a gen 1.

Ended up sending it to Lenovo for repair. It literally took 5 business days. Very happy with the repair this far.

Parts changed according to the Lenovo Repair Summary:

1. Miscellaneous Part

2. Miscellaneous Cable

3. Camera

4. Camera

5. System Board w/ CPU

6. Display cable

7. LCD Back Cover

All related to Symptom: Camera Not Functioning.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors