Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
Accepted Solution

Compilation of ThinkPad 8 Issues Mentioned on This Forum

[ Edited ]

Some users have reported issues with their TP8.  To simplify things I thought I would gather them in one place to make it easier for other users to see.  Mine seems to be on schedule for delivery tomorrow. I wish I could say I am excited that it is almost here, but, really, I am very apprehensive. So far I have a list of 7 issues that users have reported, 8 if you count can't charge while using USB, which is common to all but a few devices that charge via USB. Any one of first 4 of the 8 will be serious enough for me to return it almost immediately if I cannot resolve.

Here are the issues that have been mentioned in threads on this forum.

Priority Issue
1.  Bluetooth KB stops working when BT mouse and wifi connected. Mozjma said all working OK before driver update. After update can only really use 2 of three - BT kb, BT mouse, or wifi - but not all 3 at once.
2.  Micro USB 3.0 OTG not working. Mozjma reported working for him before driver update, but after driver update neither USB 3.0, nor 2.0 OTG working.
3.  Duplicating display on external monitor automatically changes resolution to 1154x8xx because screen on tablet locks in portrait mode. This seems to be a common issue with Win 8 tablets but still not acceptable.

A: Solved by Aridel here
4.  Touchscreen not working after calibration
5.  Battery life only 4 hours
6.  Display dimmer one corner
7.  Sharp edges on aluminum frame
8.  Can't charge when using USB.  There are some Y adapters that seem to work to charge Nexus 7 and select other devices, but I have not had success with either a Dell Venue 8 Pro or my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet or Galaxy Mega phone. 

A:  Lenovo is working on releasing a Y cable to allow this functionality.  It will most likely be made available as an orderable service part.  Will confirm as we get closer to release.

If anyone has discovered other issues or resolutions for any of these, PLEASE let the rest of us know. Alternatively, if you are definitely NOT having any particular issue let us know that, as well. Note that users have updated drivers and BIOS and still have issues.

Paper Tape

Re: Compilation of ThinkPad 8 Issues Mentioned on This Forum

some more to add:

-display light bleed (worst ive ever seen)

-speaker buzz/rattle (very annoying when typing, windows 8 key sounds sound distorted even at low volume)

-dead patch of pixels

What's DOS?

Updates / drivers are still installing, however the speaker buzz/rattle/distortion is pretty horrible. Definitely sub-par for Thinkpad product. Will update with new info as it becomes available. 

WWAN

Could someone measure the real lowest display brightness value (cd / m2) ? Is ThinkPad 8 display overbrighted as Miix 2 8" is ?

Fanfold Paper

[ Edited ]

Re the Duplicating display on external monitor issue, I know Dell fixed it months ago with a new driver for Vanue 8 Pro. I am not sure if Lenovo will help us out here. With the current state, Miracast is completely useless. Could someone from Lenovo confirm if Lenovo is looking into this issue? BTW, I tried to install the driver from Dell given that they are the same SOC, but Windows crashed after that and I had to restore the system. Be aware of that if anyone trying to that. I think Dell is doing a much better job this time helping its customers. They had staff actively respoonding to users's complains in their forum and keep people updated on the status of the fixes.

Also, could any from Lenovo confirm if there's anyway to charge the tablet and use the USB? I know with certain Y OTG cable, we can do that with Miix 2 8.

And Lenovo's shipping system SUCKS really bad this time!!! I order on Jan 29, I haven't received my tablet and I don't even have a ship date as of now. And my friend ordered at the end of Feb, recieved 2 tablets.   

Fanfold Paper

OP might want to add one more issue:

The WIFI signal of the TPT 8 I have is really weak. Much weaker than my Lumia 920, Surface RT, Sruface 2 and Dell Venue 8 Pro. Does anyone else has the issue? Also, it couldn't connect to my office's wifi while all the devices mentioned above worked fine. I am sure its ;enovo's driver issue. 

802.11n

[ Edited ]

Pat100, see my post on this.  HDMI to a monitor/TV does work now just not quite as simply as one would hope.  Once you do it a couple of times I think it gets simpler.  It would be nice to get a driver to make it work more like a simple dual monitor setup.  Since I do not actually need two monitors right now, it is working fine for me.

802.11n

pat100, what y cable have you used with the Miix 8 to achieve charging while using USB? Have you also tried it with TP8? Did it work?
Fanfold Paper

i dont have a miix 2, but from what i read, you can use at least this cable to charge and use the usb at the same time. idont have the canle though.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/59355-comparison-lenovo-miix2-vs-dell-venue-8-pro-10.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you have a y canle right? did you try different sequence of connecting devices?

802.11n

[ Edited ]

I have actually purchased a number of Y cables, including at least 2 identical to the one you link to, as well as a USB 3.0 version.  I also purchased at least 3 different kinds of cables with data/charge switches.  I have seen YouTube videos of people using a Y cable and data/charge cable to charge Venue Pro 8s while using usb devices.  I have tried many different combinations on several different devices, including Venue 8 Pro, ThinkPad 8, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Tablet, and Galaxy Mega Android phone.  In each case I left things plugged in for a while because some people report that their devices do charge, but at a rate too low to actually show the charging indicator.  I have had no luck at all.  HAVING SAID THAT, I may not be doing it right.  I still have a couple of methods to try, but I need more pieces of the puzzle that I do not have yet obtained.  A couple of the videos also showed homemade switches.  I have not yet had a chance to try that.

I am still convinced that there is a way to do it; I just have not figured it out yet