Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-14-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 3

Connecting X1 tablet 3rd generation to Apple Thunderbolt display

2019-02-14, 4:10 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased an X1 3rd generation tablet and am hoping to connect it to a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display.  I have a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor from Apple and when I connect it to my tablet, I get a prompt asking me to approve the device (i.e., the display) but nothing comes up on the screen.  What drivers  (or anything else) do I need to make this work?

Thanks!

Answer
Options

3 Posts

02-14-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

84 Page Views

Re: Connecting X1 tablet 3rd generation to Apple Thunderbolt display

2019-02-16, 15:53 PM

I was able to solve the problem, thanks to help from the Lenovo support line as well as web searches.

To get the tablet to connect to my Apple 27" Thunderbolt display, I did the following:

-Got an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter

-Attached the Thunderbolt 3 side of the adapter to one of the Thunderbolt ports on my tablet (docking station wasn't necessary) 

-Pluged the Thunderbolt 2 cable from my monitor into the adapter

-I made sure that all Thunderbolt drivers were updated (came here to the Lenovo site)

-When I plugged in the adapter, I kept getting a message that my tablet had a Thunderbolt device connected, but everytime I selected "always connect" from the menu, it wouldn't connect

-To permit this connection, I restarted the tablet and kept hitting enter on restart to open the BIOS menu (press F1), and went to the Config menu

-In Config, click on Thunderbolt 3 settings

-For Thunderbolt BIOS assist mode, select "Enabled" from drop down menu

-For Security level, select "No security"

-Save changes and press F10 to exit to setup

-You should be connected!  Go to the settings and displays menu to configure the display.  I found that the best resolution is visible when you only select the Thunderbolt display as your display

-Make sure to disable the sleep when closed function on the tablet (which is in the advanced settings for power settings), assuming you're using a wireless keyboard.

Note: when I connected to the Thunderbolt display, I got a weird static noise, but otherwise no issues.  I couldn't find these instructions anywhere, so thought I'd share with the community.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

02-14-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

2019-02-16, 15:53 PM

I was able to solve the problem, thanks to help from the Lenovo support line as well as web searches.

To get the tablet to connect to my Apple 27" Thunderbolt display, I did the following:

-Got an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter

-Attached the Thunderbolt 3 side of the adapter to one of the Thunderbolt ports on my tablet (docking station wasn't necessary) 

-Pluged the Thunderbolt 2 cable from my monitor into the adapter

-I made sure that all Thunderbolt drivers were updated (came here to the Lenovo site)

-When I plugged in the adapter, I kept getting a message that my tablet had a Thunderbolt device connected, but everytime I selected "always connect" from the menu, it wouldn't connect

-To permit this connection, I restarted the tablet and kept hitting enter on restart to open the BIOS menu (press F1), and went to the Config menu

-In Config, click on Thunderbolt 3 settings

-For Thunderbolt BIOS assist mode, select "Enabled" from drop down menu

-For Security level, select "No security"

-Save changes and press F10 to exit to setup

-You should be connected!  Go to the settings and displays menu to configure the display.  I found that the best resolution is visible when you only select the Thunderbolt display as your display

-Make sure to disable the sleep when closed function on the tablet (which is in the advanced settings for power settings), assuming you're using a wireless keyboard.

Note: when I connected to the Thunderbolt display, I got a weird static noise, but otherwise no issues.  I couldn't find these instructions anywhere, so thought I'd share with the community.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

03-29-2019

Germany

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 3

2019-03-29, 4:44 AM
Thank you so much!! I finally found the solution to the problem - it's just great!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms