Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

10-15-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 1 of 7

Ctrl FN key swap no longer available in X1 Tablet 3rd Gen due to UPDATE

2019-09-07, 22:54 PM

Unfortunately I always update my X1 Tablet 3rd Gen with Lenovo updates. This time I would like to warn users NOT to update!

After the last update (See included screen grab), the Lenovo Vantage software changed and any capacity to change and control the keyboard is LOST! No more Ctrl/Fn key swap!!!!

Since the X1 Tablet 3rd gen keyboard is bluetooth not BIOS option (as in other Lenovo products) is available. So basically the product was not upgraded, but, rather DOWNGRADED. Deeply disappointed! Unprofessional move by Lenovo who just canceled some major control access toward "design" change (in the Vantage software). Could not find any solution to this matter.

Beware!

Answer
Options

9177 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77981 Signins

2237630 Page Views

• Views: 2237630

Re: Ctrl FN key swap no longer available in X1 Tablet 3rd Gen due to UPDATE

2019-09-08, 4:07 AM

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/New-version-of-Lenovo-Vantage-10-xxxx-is-missing-features/ta-p/4498027

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Replies(6)
Answer
Options

9177 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77981 Signins

2237630 Page Views

• Views: 2237630
  • Message 2 of 7

2019-09-08, 4:07 AM

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/New-version-of-Lenovo-Vantage-10-xxxx-is-missing-features/ta-p/4498027

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

10-15-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 3 of 7

2019-09-11, 19:46 PM
Thank you!
Options

11 Posts

10-03-2019

United States of America

10 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-10-28, 19:27 PM

The better solution is to just swap the keys in the BIOS as this is a standard Lenovo BIOS setting

Options

1 Posts

10-31-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-11-03, 4:57 AM

Hello!

Still not be able to swap the key after installed the enterprise version of vantage. 

there is no option in the vantage to allow me to swap the key. there is a section in hardware setting called "input" but just allow me to change the trackpoint setting.

Anyone can swap the key can share experience? thanks. 

Options

0 Posts

02-18-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-02-18, 20:52 PM

Here's the problem; then follows, the fix.

Problem: as you know doubt already know (other uses may not) lin August 2019 Lenovo updated their tablet health utility to Vantage but it did not include some user functionality in the old software, including the ability to swap Fn & Ctrl keys. Dumb. Also something they knew people would miss: it was a prominent and easy-to-implement fix in the old software, indicating someone realized lots of people would disagree with the design guy(s) who chose the default keyboard layout. And anyone with half a brain knows people's fingers are trained to find keys in a given place; moving them for convenience in design or worse, because 'you know better', is just being a pain. Kills customer satisfaction. Costs you sales. I'm ranting on the offhand chance (slim at best) that someone at Lenovo actually reads these posts. They should. They probably pay a fortune in marketing surveys to solicit feedback; here they get it for free. And probably, like most manufacturers, ignore it.

Solution: searching with Vantage on the Lenovo support portal you'll find the following, a way to switch your Vantage software to the Enterprise version which still (wahoo!) contains the Fn & Ctrl keyswitch option. Right on the first page. 'Cause at its heart, Lenovo is a business-focused company: nice to sell to consumers too, but B2B sales is this company's primary focus. So while they don't worry too much about upsetting consumers (hey, you already bought the product) they DO NOT want to offend business buyers and enterprise support staff.  Here's the page with the Enterprise Vantage download:

The page referenced acknowledges that the consumer version of Vantage fails to include a variety of configuration options/solutions that used to be available in the old version of the utility. It does however assure us that these will be added back (some day). But kudos to them: they offer the ability to change to the Enterprise version to solve your problem immediately. That's commendable! Easy fix, and it works a charm, BTW.

The bad thing about Lenovo: focused on business; somewhat less so on consumers.

The great thing about Lenovo: focus on business means they build product AND services to be business-grade: robust, reliable, repairable. So you should take advantage: buy their nearly indestructable products, pay a little extra for support contract too and get the same level of support in your home business as they give with a corporate support contract to a major bank. Inexpensively: price for support contracts is very reasonable. With an HP or Dell purchase (I've had both) your extended support contract buys you depot service: send it to their depot, they'll fix & return when they get around to it, when parts are available, sometime never. Meanwhile, you're out of work. With a Lenovo extended service contract you get speedy on-line support. Good luck getting that with Microsoft; my experience with HP & Dell hasn't been much better. Call Lenovo, I'm through in a minute. Wow. Got a hardware problem? Their gear is made to be serviced. Dell's is too, & some of HP's, but most consumer tech is glued together. So I call for hardware service, they arrive within 24 hours - to my home! - and the service tech diagnoses, disassembles & fixes it on the spot. Then makes his next service call, to a major bank or head office downtown. They bought IBM's storied Systems Tech Support business; same guys who fix mainframes & corporate networks fix my laptop in my home. I've been in the PC/IT market for almost 40 years, been a sales rep for everyone's gear, done tech support, IT installs & maintenance, been a systems manager: I have NEVER seen a company that offers this level of product quality & support. 

Options

8 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:Ctrl FN key swap no longer available in X1 Tablet 3rd Gen due to UPDATE

2020-03-21, 8:52 AM

Take a look at ThinkPads and then at all the other ultrabooks on the market. Why did the design team think that sticking to the FN to being left of CTRL is even remotely a good idea? Even your own Yoga series have the normal layout. They are deliberately making it difficult to use products across its own brand and don't care at all.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms