Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

01-06-2013

United States

100 Signins

528 Page Views

• Views: 528
  • Message 1 of 12

Emails in Sleep Mode/ Connected Standby??

2013-03-24, 16:11 PM

Scenario:

My power control settings are set to put the TPT2 to "sleep" after 5 Mins when on battery. However, when the screen goes out  my wireless or LAN connection also seems to drop.

When I power on the tablet I can see that my wifi signal is lost and it takes a few seconds to find it.

During this time (when in "sleep") I dont get any emails or notification.

Same happens when I press the power button (set to put TPT2 to sleep), on wake I can see that my WIFI was dropped and take a few secs to reconnect.

My current power setting options include : Sleep, Do Nothing, Hibernate, Shut Down.

Question:

Is "Sleep" not "Connected Standby", if not how can I configure my tablet to ALWAYS remaind connected to the wifi or LAN unless turned off (shut down) completely?

Thanks.

Options

161 Posts

02-24-2013

Poland

542 Signins

4061 Page Views

• Views: 4061
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Emails in Sleep Mode/ Connected Standby??

2013-03-26, 20:26 PM

Connected standby works only for store apps, not desktop apps.

Think you have to also enable app to work in background.

Try to use original win8 mail app and enable notifications & background working in options.

You should hear the bell when new e-mail arrives.

Store media player also works during standby. 

12 Posts

02-15-2013

USA

31 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 3 of 12

2013-03-28, 12:46 PM

THANKS

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 4 of 12

2013-03-28, 13:08 PM

wrote:

Connected standby works only for store apps, not desktop apps.

Not quite true; Desktop apps are suspended in Connected Standby as well. See this article, where the Desktop Activity Moderation mechanism is described.

The point being that, as you say, Modern UI Apps can be architected to receive notifications whilst in Connected Standby, while a traditional Desktop application is simply totally suspended and can't do anything.

So a traditional Desktop Mail client (e.g. Windows Live Mail) won't receive mail while the machine is in Connected Standby, while the Mail App will.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

161 Posts

02-24-2013

Poland

542 Signins

4061 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2013-03-28, 14:04 PM
gcoupe: but this is exactly what I meant.
Think we say the same.
Desktop apps are suspended (except some system tasks) in connected standby.
Modern UI (or store apps) can continue working (like music player) or remain connected (like mail or communicators) and receive notifications - when they are designed for it and you give them permission to work in backgroud.

In any case so far I have not heard of desktop app remaining active in connected standby mode.

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2013-03-28, 14:53 PM

@makaszn,

We're not quite saying the same thing. Desktop apps are completely suspended (via the DAM) when the device is in Connected Standby - they have no "system tasks" that continue to run.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

161 Posts

02-24-2013

Poland

542 Signins

4061 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2013-03-28, 21:40 PM

OK, I give up :smileyhappy:

Anyway believe this subject is closed

26 Posts

01-06-2013

United States

100 Signins

528 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2013-03-29, 15:14 PM

I am using the Win8 Mail app but the issue is that WIFI signal drops when the screen goes off unless an app like TUNE IN is actively running "playing music".

If I'm simply surfing the net and leave the tablet or simply press the power button the wifi connection drops. Its fair to say not always but the majority of the time it drops.

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2013-03-29, 16:00 PM

wrote:

I am using the Win8 Mail app but the issue is that WIFI signal drops when the screen goes off unless an app like TUNE IN is actively running "playing music".

If I'm simply surfing the net and leave the tablet or simply press the power button the wifi connection drops. Its fair to say not always but the majority of the time it drops.

Odd. Have you got the Mail App set to display notifications, and have notifications displayed on the Lock Screen?

It's almost as though your network hardware has been set to behave according to the traditional Windows 7 sleep state, instead of the Windows 8 Connected Standby state. Have you been playing with the Power settings on your tablet?

Options

26 Posts

01-06-2013

United States

100 Signins

528 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2013-03-29, 23:50 PM

The mail app is set to give notifications just like IM+, Messaging and a ton of others.

In Personalize i have the about sxi apps (skype, mail, ...) set to show notifications on the lock screen.

Under the Boardcom Wireless adapter in Power Management I have UNCHECKED the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". (this was checked by default but since I'm having these issues I unchecked it.)

My Power Options are pretty much stock, as stated earlier the TPT2 is set to "SLEEP" after 5 mins on battery.

In advance settings my options are pretty limited and dont see an option which speaks to the wifi adapter and if to turn it off. BTW i only have 1 power profile (Balance - Active) is this normal?

Its pretty frustrated now because I use this primarily for work and have to remind myself to go turn in on (kinda like a refresh).

Do you guys have any ideas?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms