08-13-2014

United States

1 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 1 of 4

Failure configuring Windows 8 Updates - TPT2

2014-08-13, 20:34 PM

Basically, everytime my TPT2 needs to update windows, it will begin to update and every single time it gets somewhere around 22-25% and then "reverting changes failure to configure windows update" appears. It gets in a loop and forces me to factory reset each time. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Options

239 Posts

06-05-2014

United States

1593 Signins

10973 Page Views

• Views: 10973
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Failure configuring Windows 8 Updates - TPT2

2014-08-14, 1:24 AM

Try opening an elevated command prompt and running

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Options

179 Posts

11-22-2010

Cooperstown, NY

434 Signins

2216 Page Views

• Views: 2216
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-08-18, 4:02 AM

Mark and GCoupe will probably make fun of me, but I bought a second TPT2 for my girlfriend.

Anyhow, getting it ready, I ran into the same problem. The problem is other software running when you run the updates. Here's what you need to do.

1. Remove Intel AppUp and NitroPDF and anything called Napeiron Licensing.

2. Remove any other software you figure you won't use.

3. Next, figure out when automatic updates are going to run the first time, and make sure the OS is set to Important Updates only.

4. Wait for that first batch to process.

5. Then, on each restart, just go to the charms bar and where you would restart, you will see update and restart.

6. You'll need to do this 6 or 7 times, and it'll be really frustrating.

7. When it just says restart, go to the Windows Store, and initiate the Windows 8.1 Update.

8. Make sure you are plugged in the whole time this is going on, and that the tablet is set to never sleep on AC.

9. After you're done with the 8.1 Update, download the January 2014 Reference Platrfrom Drivers from the Lenovo website.

10. After restart with that, then use Lenovo System Update to install all the other updates listed EXCEPT DPTF and DPR, which it thinks you want to install the old versions over the new one. (Seriously, Lenovo has really fallen off with this machine).

11. After that, then use Wndows Update to install the remaining updates.

12. Then install your apps and stuff.

13. Then find a nice big USB Hard Disk and create a Windows Image Backup of your Tablet, which will be how you will reset from now on, or you will be permanently going through this every time you want to fix a big problem.

Hope this was helpful.

Jonathan Becker
------------------------------------
CURRENT LENOVO PRODUCTS: Thinkpad Tablet 2
sn #R9WHND7, Win 8 Pro, BIOS 1.51, with Dock and TPT2 keyboard
Thinkpad USB Keyboard with Trackpoint
IdeaCenter B500

PAST: Thinkpad T22, X60 Tablet, X220 Tablet
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

NL

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-08-18, 6:01 AM

Why would I make fun of you? The TPT2 is a perfectly good device - I'm still using mine...

Anyway, your list of steps is also good, and what I would do/have done. One shortcut, instead of installing the 100+ updates to Windows 8 before upgrading to Windows 8.1, there's apparently just one that needs to be installed.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete