US

18 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 1 of 2

How can I increase battery life for Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen

2019-12-30, 9:20 AM

Hi everyone

Recently purchased a secondhand, but mint condition X1 tablet.

I knew there would be issues with the battery life, all the reviews told me that.  So I am just trying to maximise the runtime.

Currently I get 3.5-4 hrs of continuous internet usage dropping from 100% to 40%.   Which from what i've read is pretty standard.  These are the things I have done to achieve this.

1) Reduced screen brightness

2) Turned off keyboard backlight (although I can't figure out how you turn this off permanently, because I really don't need it)

3) Bloatware - apparently there is none on this version of the tablet, only Lenovo Vantage which supposedly is light and quite useful.  I did however uninstall Windows 10 Pro software like Candicrush and Xbox which I don't use.

4) Tried to remove Cortana, but it won't go, but prevented it collecting data and sending to MS

5) Turned off GPS location

6) Turned off Bluetooth

7) Turned off webcam (never use it) and Microphone.  Of course I can always reactivate whenever i want

8) Turned off all automatic software

Is there anything more i can do?

I've been reading various things about undervolting the CPU, but not sure if that's worthwhile.  Presumably that reduces performance aswell?

I'd be happy if i could figure out a way of permanently disabling the backlight to the keyboard.  I have to manually turn it off everytime I boot up the machine.  THere is nothing in the settings menu

Cheers

Options

635 Posts

12-30-2017

PL

1419 Signins

16164 Page Views

• Views: 16164
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: How can I increase battery life for Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen

2019-12-30, 12:06 PM

wrote:
I've been reading various things about undervolting the CPU, but not sure if that's worthwhile.  Presumably that reduces performance aswell?

You might be surprised, but you can actually improve the performance of your device in that way. Gains may differ between units, but I believe 15% gain is possible. You may ask, how it's possible? By reducing voltage, you will reduce the amount of heat which CPU produce. As the result, CPU can actually run on higher clocks, thus resulting in higher performance. Be aware, that not every CPU is the same. Some undervolts more and other cannot be undervolted at all. You will need to check it yourself.

Please check also this review for more information.

------
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete