Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-10-2014

Tokyo, Japan

9 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 1 of 20

How do I know if my TPT2 supports the digitizer pen?

2014-01-10, 9:17 AM

I recently purchased a refurbished TPT2 from the Lenovo Outlet. The model number is listed as 3679CTR. I understand this means that it was originally "Customized To Order" (CTO) and now that it is refurbished, it is designated as CTR.

I couldn't check every single item, but it seems that all TPT2s on the Outlet shop ship without digitizer pens. I have found the below document that lists which models support the digitizer pen and which do not:

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf

My TPT2 is still in transit, but I've been thinking about whether to get a digitizer pen for it or not, but I have no idea or way of figuring out whether it supports the digitizer pen or not.

Does anyone know how I can find out if my TPT2 supports the digitizer pen, or whether I have to use the same stylus as I use on my iPad?

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: How do I know if my TPT2 supports the digitizer pen?

2014-01-10, 11:02 AM

The quick way is to see if it comes with a pen that will be stored in the silo on the top left of the TPT2. If there's a pen, you can just slide it out by pushing with your thumb on the top left side side of the TPT2, where the pen handle sits.

If, however, the silo is filled by a red plastic plug that won't come out, then your TPT2 won't have the active digitizer built in, and you won't be able to use an active pen. In that case, you'll have to use the passive stylus that you use for your iPad.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

6 Posts

01-10-2014

Tokyo, Japan

9 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2014-01-10, 12:37 PM
gcoupe, that would be true for any new TPT2, and I initially thought as you wrote. But then I noticed that every, single TPT2 in the Lenovo Outlet was listed as NOT including the Thinkpad Tablet 2 Pen. It's highly unlikely that all of the hundreds of refurbished TPT2s in the outlet were non-digitizer models.

My guess is that Lenovo removed the pens from all TPT2s that were sent back and resold them if in good enough condition, leaving all the refurb TPT2s pen-less. Before investing in a new digitizer pen, I'd like to try and determine if, in fact, my TPT2 can support this pen.

Would a more specific 3679XXX number be printed somewhere on the unit?
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 4 of 20

2014-01-10, 13:01 PM

The label is on the back of the cover for the SIM and MicroSD slots...

You could also look in the Device Manager. I see that my TPT2 (which has pen support) is showing an "HID-compliant pen" entry under the Human Interface Devices section. I would bet that if your TPT2 does not have the active digitizer fitted, then you won't have that entry.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

6 Posts

01-10-2014

Tokyo, Japan

9 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2014-01-10, 13:05 PM
Thanks, gcoupe! Will check when I get the TPT2 and let you know how it goes.
Options

136 Posts

01-19-2013

Denmark

1392 Signins

15107 Page Views

• Views: 15107
  • Message 6 of 20

2014-01-12, 13:42 PM

wrote:
gcoupe, that would be true for any new TPT2, and I initially thought as you wrote. But then I noticed that every, single TPT2 in the Lenovo Outlet was listed as NOT including the Thinkpad Tablet 2 Pen. It's highly unlikely that all of the hundreds of refurbished TPT2s in the outlet were non-digitizer models.

My guess is that Lenovo removed the pens from all TPT2s that were sent back and resold them if in good enough condition, leaving all the refurb TPT2s pen-less. Before investing in a new digitizer pen, I'd like to try and determine if, in fact, my TPT2 can support this pen.

Gcoupes answer is still valid, I think. If there is room for the pen, then the pen vil work. If the silo for the pen is blocked by an unremovable sealing, it will not support the digital pen.

Slainthé

Mick

Slàinte
Mick
Options

6 Posts

01-10-2014

Tokyo, Japan

9 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2014-01-12, 13:51 PM
Seniorsergent, I think gcoupe's answer is only valid for new units. Remember: every single refurbished TPT2 comes without a pen. I don't believe that only non-pen versions of the TPT2 were returned and/or otherwise routed to the outlet. So that's why I'm looking for another way to determine if the TPT2 I receive is in fact a pen-supporting model or not.
Options

179 Posts

11-22-2010

Cooperstown, NY

434 Signins

2216 Page Views

• Views: 2216
  • Message 8 of 20

2014-01-12, 15:22 PM

Lenovo only used Wacom digitizers in the TPT2. Oddly, as opposed to previous Lenovo Tablet PC's, they did not include their own Wacom driver/controi panel, with the added controls that driver provides (such as for hover right click).

Wacom has published a universal driver for all Tablet PC's that use Wacom digitizers. It can be found at

http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

On the same page is the Wacom Hardware Check Utility, which will tell you if you have a Wacom digitizer inside your computer. The direct link is:

http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/TabletPC/ISD_DualTouch_712-9/WacomHardwareCheck.exe

If you have a digitizer, you can just go buy any number of compatible pens for your computer.

Jonathan Becker
------------------------------------
CURRENT LENOVO PRODUCTS: Thinkpad Tablet 2
sn #R9WHND7, Win 8 Pro, BIOS 1.51, with Dock and TPT2 keyboard
Thinkpad USB Keyboard with Trackpoint
IdeaCenter B500

PAST: Thinkpad T22, X60 Tablet, X220 Tablet
Options

6 Posts

01-10-2014

Tokyo, Japan

9 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 9 of 20

2014-01-12, 15:32 PM
Thanks, johnnybecker! When I receive the TPT2 I'll try out the link you mentioned. Here's hoping!
Options

1 Posts

01-21-2014

Anderson, SC

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 10 of 20

2014-01-21, 21:08 PM
I ordered a 3679ctr from the Lenovo outlet and it came with the pen.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms