Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

06-09-2011

Canada

71 Signins

249 Page Views

• Views: 249
  • Message 1 of 9

How long until the newer model is released?

2013-06-09, 22:30 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking into getting a Thinkpad Tablet 2, but I do not need it immediately, so I am wondering if the thinkpad tablet 3 will be out soon? I would be using it for school, and so would not need it until September. Based on the release date of the TPT2, would the TPT3 be coming out in early January as well?

I do not want to buy the TPT2, only to have it become obsolete or out of date within a few months. However, there are some pretty good deals at the moment in the Lenovo store as well. So, what would you guys suggest? Buy the tablet now (and just play with it), buy it around September (have an actual use for it immediately), or wait for the newer model to come out. 

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Also, are there any reasons why I should wait instead of getting the current one?

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: How long until the newer model is released?

2013-06-10, 7:19 AM

It looks as though the successor to the TPT2 may well be Lenovo's MIIX line of tablets. See http://liliputing.com/2013/06/lenovo-unveils-miix-windows-8-tablets-with-clover-trail-chips.html

However, I see that these are still reported as using the Intel Clover Trail Atom cpus and chipsets (i.e. the same as the TPT2). I think that the real next generation devices will be using the Intel Bay Trail Atom cpus and chipsets. That may still be six months away... But that's simply a guess on my part. I have no insider info...

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

27 Posts

02-26-2013

Chicago

163 Signins

536 Page Views

• Views: 536
  • Message 3 of 9

2013-06-11, 13:45 PM
I would not get the TPT2 at all. If you look through the forums, it has been plagued with problems since launch. Mine has spent more time at the repair depot than in my hands. Also many of the drivers are out of date, with updates apparently providing significant improvements (seen by others when they installed other vendor's drivers). Lenovo has made no attempt at updating them or giving us an ETA.
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2013-06-11, 14:00 PM

wrote:
I would not get the TPT2 at all. If you look through the forums, it has been plagued with problems since launch. Mine has spent more time at the repair depot than in my hands. Also many of the drivers are out of date, with updates apparently providing significant improvements (seen by others when they installed other vendor's drivers). Lenovo has made no attempt at updating them or giving us an ETA.

Just to put the opposing point of view:

My TPT2 has spent more time in my hands than in the repair depot. I've had it since January, and it went away for six days in May to get the speakers replaced under warranty.

I've not had to install any drivers other than those provided by Lenovo, since my TPT2 has been working perfectly satisfactorily.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

27 Posts

02-26-2013

Chicago

163 Signins

536 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2013-06-11, 14:37 PM

It seems like you are very lucky. I also my TPT2 early in the year (arrived February). After a single weekend of just watching movies on my couch, it started to fall apart: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/TPT2-Starting-To-Fall-Apart-After-3-Days/m-p/1043065 There was at least one more guy that had the same problem as I (you can read about his experience here http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Lenovo-support-is-a-joke/td-p/1096347). I sent it to the depot, and got it back in over a month.

This time, I had it in my hands for 1-2 weeks. However my experience with it was not very enjoyable, because I had trouble connecting to many WiFi hot spots. For example, I could only use my home WiFi if I stood right beside the router. Posting on this forum revealed that there is a known problem (even Lenovo acknowledges it in their hardware manual) with the WiFi antennas. http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Poor-WiFi-Connections/m-p/1109379

I got it back a month later. The only thing with it I did was use a keyboard to update the drivers and setup a remove connection that the Lenovo tech could see why touch input wasn't working. Turns out they put on the wrong screen during the last repair.... The status of my TPT2 in the repair depot is "Hold for Parts - Service call is on hold until parts arrive. ", which based on my experience means I'll get it back in another month.

As for the drivers, the improvements are apparently very minor. You can see the sage here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/New-Drivers-needed-for-bios-1-51/td-p/1081273 The only people affected seem to be the ones that upgraded their BIOS to 1.51 when Lenovo posted an official upgrade. Without updated drivers, their TPT2 became mostly unfunctional.

The only driver update I am interested in is the pen input.  I bought the TPT2 because sometimes I need to draw diagrams with a pen. However the pen input in the TPT2 has poor accuracy and is very slow. Apparently the new drivers released by Wacom fixes this. http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/New-Wacom-driver-RELEASED-for-Windows-8/m-p/1117485/highlight/true#M23967 I would like to try these drivers, but I want to wait for Lenovo to release an official version. However based on what I see of the video drivers, this is not going to happen any time soon.

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2013-06-11, 14:45 PM

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/thoughts-on-the-lenovo-thinkpad-2/

Options

187 Posts

01-28-2013

Germany

170 Signins

1141 Page Views

• Views: 1141
  • Message 7 of 9

2013-06-12, 13:50 PM

Wow, I wonder if somebody in this forum really wanne buy a product from Lenovo. Please take care about the sample TPT2, so you know, you don´t want to buy a product from them.

Options

25 Posts

01-16-2013

Petaluma

87 Signins

935 Page Views

• Views: 935
  • Message 8 of 9

2013-06-27, 18:22 PM

I guess i'm also lucky?  Got mine in early January and it has stayed 100% of the time in my hands, no need to return to manufacturer.  

The thing with these online forums is, unless you have an issue, you don't go to the support forums.  So of course these forums will be filled with bad reviews, since they are pretty much only used by people with issues.

Now, if Lenovo called every single owner of a tpt2 after 6 months of use, and then logged the responses, I think that the results would surprise you.

Options

27 Posts

02-26-2013

Chicago

163 Signins

536 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2013-06-27, 19:19 PM

I agree with you that the forums are quite biased towards the negative. Still, I would like to know that if something (even rare) happens the support is there. A lot of the complaining here isn't about problems with the device itself. It is with Lenovo's response. (Yes, almost a month later and I haven't gotten my TPT2 back from the third repair trip...)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms