Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 9 (23,192 Views)

How to disable connected standby?

I would like to save as much power as possible when my TPT2 is in sleep mode.  Is there a way to completely disable connected standby other than by activating airplane mode?

Punch Card
Message 2 of 9 (23,155 Views)

Re: How to disable connected standby?

Connected standby seems not to impact the battery usage versus airplane mode. The specs gives 25 days of connected standby - seems hard to believe at the rate the battery drains overnight unless it is not a linear decline.
Token Ring
Message 3 of 9 (23,117 Views)

Klik run on the menu, and enter: Shutdown -s -t 0, that will do the trick

Have a nice day

Mick

Slàinte
Mick
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 9 (22,688 Views)

For those looking to disable Connected Standby on Clovertrail (and similar) Devices:

A simple change of a registry key and a system restart exposes all the legacy functionality:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

I can set a monitor sleep timeout and the monitor actually turns off without sleeping the whole device!
I can run "nircmd monitor off" and it actually turns off the monitor upon request without tripping a standby mode.
I get the good ol' power plan switcher when I click the battery icon in taskbar.
I get tons of previously hidden options inside each power plan's advanced settings.

* I had previously tried disabling Desktop Activity Moderator (dam.sys) and this kept my desktop processes from freezing upon monitor-off in Connected Standby mode, but they were still cut off from system devices like sound and network.  Since my efforts were to enable downloading to continue with the screen off, this was still unacceptable.

* Power Usage and Battery Life: With Connected Standby disabled, and monitor off, my idle battery drain was ~0.9w (Acer Iconia W510 tablet, WiFi connected, Bluetooth enabled but not connected.)  This translates to roughly 30hrs of battery life in this state, before complete depletion.  I have my unit set to shut down when battery becomes critical, so we still have a mechanism in place there.

* This post was originally about saving MORE power which is not quite what I'm doing here, but the device can still be shut down/powered on quickly and easily, and enabling hibernate in the same registry location as above allows for that functionality as well. I don't use it because I don't want to sacrifice the hard drive space for the hibernate file, but I did have it working at one point.

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9 (22,464 Views)

hi there... thanks a lot but enable that will disable the sleep function... what can we do about that???

thanks...

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9 (22,434 Views)

Good question!  I assume hibernate would still work if enabled, but I lost traditional sleep too.  Question becomes whether the tablet is capable of traditional sleep state.  There might be additional registry hacking that could enable it - but I haven't found it - or it might just not be possible (firmware limitation.)  If anyone solves this one, I'd love to hear about it.

Token Ring
Message 7 of 9 (22,416 Views)

Tablet 2's and other Clovertrail computers ONLY support Connected Standby as a low power state. The traditional sleep options are not available. The tech that makes it work is also what gives the Tablet such a fast boot time.Hibernation is not really a sleep state. Instead, it simply saves your ram state to your fixed disk and shuts off the computer. Then, on resume, it just puts you back where you were. Since the Tablet 2 has such a fast boot to desktop, hibernate and reaume are essentially useless.

my suggestion woild be to think of the battery life claima by manufacturers as claims, not guarantees. I get on average about 9 to 10 houra a day usage out of the Tablet, and use it pretty much all day, as a companion machine to a desktop.

if you were hoping for multi-day standby time, i dont know of any tablet or computer that reliably provides it. My Android phone especially varies tremendoisly, in part for what i use it for.

finally, i tried disabling connected standby as recommended above. Led to so many problems, i quickly went back.

my 2c.

Jonathan Becker
------------------------------------
CURRENT LENOVO PRODUCTS: Thinkpad Tablet 2
sn #R9WHND7, Win 8 Pro, BIOS 1.51, with Dock and TPT2 keyboard
Thinkpad USB Keyboard with Trackpoint
IdeaCenter B500

PAST: Thinkpad T22, X60 Tablet, X220 Tablet
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9 (22,398 Views)

Yup, initially i thought the edit were just find... but yesterday after some thorough usage i found there is a lil bug here n there... especially on web site browsing n some others...
i reverted back at the moment... to the hibernate mode enable but normal power profile...
maybe i'll test run some more during my Chinese New Year break during next week
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9 (22,387 Views)

Curious.  How did it negatively affect web browsing?

Top Kudoed Authors