Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

96 Posts

08-24-2011

Waukesha, WI

5404 Signins

51904 Page Views

• Views: 51904
  • Message 1 of 139

Note Taking Apps

2011-09-08, 19:53 PM

While I appreciate that Lenovo has partnered with and Bundled Vision Objects' Notes Mobile app, It leaves very much to be desired in more ways that one. Namely, performance seems to plummet when notebooks get large and with a lot of (handwritten) text on the pages. 

I was wondering if anyone out there has discovered (or is working on) an app that has these features:

-(native) export to PDF

-handwriting recognition

-Palm detection/rejection

-Search (of text or converted text)

I have noticed that a lot of the apps out there currently have varying degrees of perfomance of these features, but nothing really does all of these at even a mediorce level.

Price is not really an object, but I would prefer something paid or with donation as an option to encourage the developer to support and improve the app.

Anyone see anything like this out there?

Options

19 Posts

09-02-2011

United States

29 Signins

389 Page Views

• Views: 389
  • Message 2 of 139

Re: Note Taking Apps

2011-09-08, 22:23 PM

What do you mean by performance plumets when the note gets big? Is that everyone's experience, for the other heavy notebook users?

Options

28 Posts

08-10-2011

Holy See

25 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 3 of 139

2011-09-09, 1:12 AM

I think alot of it is the page flipping animation and zooming causing bad performance. If there was a way to disable it, it would be nice. A few other problems with the app:

-there is no image/jpg export option like they mention for pages

-exporting a page as an attachment in the Mail program doesn't work, it creates a new email but doesn't attach a file (gmail works)

-being able to name the file before exporting or options to export multiple pages would be nice

-Being able to see a list of tabs with names would be nice. The current system doesn't work good for organizing a bunch of notebooks with multiple "tabs" with no name.

Options

96 Posts

08-24-2011

Waukesha, WI

5404 Signins

51904 Page Views

• Message 4 of 139

2011-09-09, 1:23 AM
I think it is probably related to caching issue. It's like I can only write a "convert as you write" line and then it's like it refuses to process more. Writing a "freehand" is no problem at all, but then it really doesn't make it a "premium" app they claim it to be, as there are plenty on the market that do this for free.

My biggest complaint by far is the apparent lack of any way for controlling the formatting. I try to put the text the way I want it, but when I re-open the notebook or even turn the page, it "auto-formats" or something. Very Very Frustrating.
Options

96 Posts

08-24-2011

Waukesha, WI

5404 Signins

51904 Page Views

• Message 5 of 139

2011-09-09, 15:45 PM
Hopefully someone out there has a solution. Other than the user guide in the app, I can't find anywhere that tells me how to export an entire notebook rather than a "sheet"

Exporting as text is a joke. It exports as an HTML file with the text as a single hyperlink to nowhere; and forget about formatting.

I'm really disappointed in this app as I thought it was going to be a real selling point for the device. It is definitely NOT ready for the prime-time and hopefully they are working on addressing some of these issues.
Options

2 Posts

09-14-2011

United Kingdom

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 6 of 139

2011-09-14, 8:20 AM

Hi,

Sorry, to jump in here and ask a question that is slightly of track but; I have been tasked with identifying and supplying 3 tablets for our directors to use in meetings and I'm keen to recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet.
The brief is they wish to write notes with a stylus for later reference.

Has anyone had any experience with the MyScript Notes Mobile use in meetings and what are they finding out, also as i'm a commited Evernote user, I would like to export to this.

I would also like to know is if I add Evernote to the Lenovo would I be able to use the stylus that comes bundled with the Lenovo to hand write notes into the Evenote application.

Anyone out there that's doing this now and if so are you satisfied with the system. If its working OK on the Lenovo I can pitch this to the directors now.

Oh, why I jumped into this thread, would Evernote bt an alternative Ghigelmire ?

Thanks in advance.

IGM

Options

96 Posts

08-24-2011

Waukesha, WI

5404 Signins

51904 Page Views

• Message 7 of 139

2011-09-14, 13:48 PM

Here's the "problems" I've found with using Notes Mobile on the TPT.

To answer your question, you cannot export to Evernote natively. Equally frustrating: you cannot export an entire "notebook," but rather only a single "page" at a time.

There is a version of Evernote that does support pen input, but it only available/compatible with the HTC Flyer currently. I am hoping they release a similar version for HC tablets with digitizers.

That's not to say you can't effectively take notes and export to PDF (which you can later import into Evernote)

I'm currently testing the beta of Writepad Stylus

Stable: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.writepad&feature=search_result

-and-

Beta: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1204885

You do have to download a little "helper" app for the PDF export support (so also, not native), but this will tide me over until (if ever) updates for the Notes Mobile app come out.

As of right now, the Notes Mobile app is NOT suitable for any serious note taking, as far as organization is concerned, and the issues I mentioned with the handwriting recognition and apparent lack of control over the formatting is extremely frustrating.

Options

2 Posts

09-14-2011

United Kingdom

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 8 of 139

2011-09-14, 14:18 PM

Thanks ghigelmire,

That's a shame as I really like the TPT. I was hoping for good reports of the Notepad app.

When searching for a suitable tablet, I had been waiting for the HTC Puccini (Now called the Jetstream) as the other alternative 10" tablet with a stylus (Flyer just too small at 7"), but although it's been released on AT&T in the states HTC are saying that it's unlikely to come to the UK, although it may come under a different name, no date has even been rumoured, where the TPT can be order now.

To be honest though I prefer the hardware spec of the TPT especially the connectivity and expansion options it has and with the added Folio case/keyboard it has the best of both input methods easily to hand.

BTW. I have posted a similar question on Evenotes Forum, no one seems to be using the TPT there, but they are all seem to be saying use the iPad as there are a number of hand-writing apps available for it.

However, while I have the iPhone and do admire the Apple design ethos, there are iPad limitations and hardware restrictions I would like to negate and I do bulk at some of the Apple politics and methods, so want to go down the Android road.

I think its a case of wait and see for a bit!

Regards IGM

Options

37 Posts

09-10-2011

Washington DC

249 Signins

1096 Page Views

• Views: 1096
  • Message 9 of 139

2011-09-15, 4:18 AM
I really like this TPT. I am even adapting to the note taking app. My guess is that better inking apps for the TPT will soon be offered. Even the ipad has inking apps that would be terrific on the TPT and we know the ipad isn't designed to do inking. I want to use the TPT to take notes in meetings too, but cannot do it with the currently available software.
Options

16 Posts

09-09-2011

NYC

68 Signins

493 Page Views

• Views: 493
  • Message 10 of 139

2011-09-15, 5:02 AM

As I am sure many of you other TPT already know, the device is great, as a first time android user, there is a bit of a learning curve for me. With this said I cannot express my disappointment with the preloaded note taking software as well as powerpoint and pdf anotation abilities. I have tried tirelessly to figure out how to take notes on a power point and pdf to no avail, I hope that this is a user issue, if anyone has any advice or guidance please share.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms