Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

135 Posts

10-25-2011

Hungary

371 Signins

2077 Page Views

• Views: 2077
  • Message 71 of 94

Re: [Petition] Please Unlock the Bootloader of TPT

2013-07-30, 21:31 PM

I asked the local service about the repair, and they said that the only possibility is to change the motherboard which would cost ~1070 usd (!!!!!). I think this is beyond reason, thus I again request Lenovo to give an option to reset the software in some way.

Lenovo contact people please let me know in what channels can i complain further about my problem. I cannot believe and won't accept that i can throw out my tablet which is in perfect working condition just because of a software problem, and sadly from the above price it is evident that hardware repair is not an option.

As a possible workaround you could give the option and tell to my local service (in Hungary) how to to reset the software because probably it would take at most an hour to do this and the cost of this is closer to reasonable.

thanks for your attention,

a much disappointed customer

Options

2062 Posts

02-28-2012

Ecuador

1823 Signins

32468 Page Views

• Views: 32468
  • Message 72 of 94

2013-07-31, 3:44 AM

Hi keszegh

If the bootloader is locked, there is not procedure to recover the tablet for this software error because we don't have the Secure Boot Key (SBK) codes to unlock APX mode. So chaing the mainboard for a software error is the only solution Lenovo provides. 

It is not fair for customers to replace a mainboard for a software error.

Did you checked if your Thinkpad Tablet model has the bootloader locked? (under your own risk)

- http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Lenovo_ThinkPad_Tablet#BootLoader

- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28148282

I scalated to Lenovo's Management about this subject.  Lenovo's Americas manager helped me out and asigned several managers to forward my request.

At the end after some days of comming and going I got this reply from the "AG Director of Quality, North America"

Hi Mr. Iturbide.  I apologize for not responding sooner, but I wanted to review the feedback with the software engineers again. 

The only solution Lenovo has to offer for this issue is to replace the motherboard.  This is due to the fact that portions of the Android image contain Lenovo proprietary code.  Additionally, there are licensed and DRM protected content that cannot be shared.

I do apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue, and understand you feel we are over-correcting.  Your feedback will go into future consideration as we develop our next line of consumer products.

Thanks for your support and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Regards,"

I insisted that this was not a satisfactory responce and that lenovo should provide at least a Vanilla android image with a procedure to wipe the tablet and recover the software, just like they did with other tablet models, but I didn't get a reply yet.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Options

135 Posts

10-25-2011

Hungary

371 Signins

2077 Page Views

• Message 73 of 94

2013-07-31, 6:11 AM

hi,

unfortunately my bootloader is locked. (especially considering the price of a motherboard change) i also insist on that Lenovo has to make the sbk key public or provide some other means (like a 'lenovo custom' nvflash which can only be used to reset the tablet's all partition to the stock one or to a vanilla android without exposing the sbk key). or at least provide the key to their services which won't make it 'public' but would provide a reasonable means to repair our tablets.

Options

6 Posts

08-24-2013

yemen

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 74 of 94

2013-08-24, 12:44 PM

I am from yemen and I have bought  a lenovo thinkpad tpt. now my tablet is briking and i can't do any thing just waiting for the  [ SBK ] to fix my tablet . PLEASE LENOVO UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER OF TPT .

Options

9 Posts

09-02-2013

Latvia, Riga

46 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 75 of 94

2013-09-02, 12:33 PM

+1 Unlock the Bootloader for TPT!

We really need it in order to fix  devs software errors.

Options

6 Posts

08-24-2013

yemen

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 76 of 94

2013-09-06, 14:32 PM

Is there another way to fix our tpt. please tell us.

May you can build up an update that is espacial to fix this problem.

May you can build up a recovery via the external sdcard because it is the only way to fix the tpt.

you can work out a solution to replace the whole system via the external sdcard.

Please what every you have to do do it. In yemen you don't know what does 250$ means.

PLEASE         PLEASE         PLEASE       figuer out  something. really my  TPT is useless.

Options

6 Posts

08-24-2013

yemen

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 77 of 94

2013-09-06, 14:37 PM

Know I think the solution is possible by vanilla android image via the external sdcard

Vanilla android image with a procedure to wipe the tablet and recover the software, just like they did with other tablet models, but I didn't get a reply yet.

Options

6 Posts

08-24-2013

yemen

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 78 of 94

2013-09-06, 14:39 PM
I agree with you martiniturbide we need a Vanilla android image
Options

135 Posts

10-25-2011

Hungary

371 Signins

2077 Page Views

• Message 79 of 94

2013-09-14, 11:44 AM

Dear martiniturbide and others (lenovo support, please!),

could you direct me where i should write an email with this problem? (pm is good)

what i did so far without success:

-contacted my local service in hungary. result: they answered that only motherboard change is a solution, which will cost 1000+ usd (~1.5 month ago)

-asked them to contact lenovo hungary directly about my problem, requesting a free motherboard change, referring to this forum as precedence. result: no answer (~1 month ago)

-i asked for the email address so that i can write to them directly. i wrote to that address (lenovo@lenovo.hu). result: no reply (2 weeks ago)

-i wrote a pm to mark_lenovo as you or somebody suggested on the forum. result: no answer (3 weeks ago)

all in all so far no person from lenovo replied in any way to my request about my problem. i also pointed out that i'm a developer of the only app on the amazon app store directly made to used by the thinkpad tablet (fragmenter -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IVLQ6Y ), which is still in beta but i was just about to publish a major upgrade, which i cannot do for the last 3 months because my tablet is dead.

thus i at least need a contact which will reply to my request, as so far i was not successful to get any kind of answer from lenovo. this is quite strange to be the case for at least a month. this kind of support is quite unexpected for the thinkpad brand.

it may be additional info that i reside in hungary but i've bought my tablet in the usa (thus it is a us model) so contacting us lenovo managers may be logical. thus i may want to contact the same person you contacted. thanks

Options

135 Posts

10-25-2011

Hungary

371 Signins

2077 Page Views

• Message 80 of 94

2013-10-20, 9:56 AM

just to update on my case, after my post i got from martiniturbide the contacts that he used. i wrote them a letter explaining my case in similar details as here, then i was contacted by a/the eastern european local "Complaints Management Team Leader" of lenovo and after investigating my issue they offered a one time free of charge mainboard change out of warranty, just like for others. i accepted this, after a few weeks the mainboard arrived to the local service and they changed it and now after 3 months of death my tablet is working again.

i don't even dare to guess for how long, considering the number of issues i had with it already, yet in any case i appreciate that at least lenovo gave it another chance. so others with a similar issue i can also recommend to try to reach the right people about it and there might be a (one-time) solution.

let me thank again martiniturbide, as without him i would have had to throw out my 500 dollar gadget.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms