Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

10-25-2011

Portland, Oregon

95 Signins

894 Page Views

• Views: 894
  • Message 221 of 329

Re: Power button problems

2012-03-13, 15:39 PM

My power button gave up today after 4 months of being really gentle with it - Box should be here by Thursday to return it..

Options

468 Posts

01-30-2012

United States of America

600 Signins

5731 Page Views

• Views: 5731
  • Message 222 of 329

2012-03-14, 1:24 AM

Excerpts from two posts in this thread;

>>It looks like the only thing holding the switch to the board is the solder on the three contact points.

>>Faced with the problem of soldering the switch and I am quite inexperienced ..the 3 solder points are actually quite small for the lay person.

Those who have had power button problems, and were able to open the tablet and investigate, seem to be mentioning only three solder pads holding the button in place. I saw five solder pads holding the power and volume buttons in my TPT. This appears to be a hardware revision on the part of Lenovo to address the issue and am wondering whether anyone has had issues even with five solder pads involved.

Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 223 of 329

2012-03-14, 7:58 AM

Hi ameridian,

May I ask you when your tablet was manufactured?  This information will help people answering your question as I would expect any recent unit will include the new hardware revision on the cameras board.

Options

468 Posts

01-30-2012

United States of America

600 Signins

5731 Page Views

• Message 224 of 329

2012-03-14, 12:50 PM

@sobrado wrote:

Hi ameridian,

May I ask you when your tablet was manufactured?  This information will help people answering your question as I would expect any recent unit will include the new hardware revision on the cameras board.

Where do you find that? I see 11/08 next to the serial number behind the cover for the SIM/media card compartment.

Options

96 Posts

11-17-2011

Seychelles

156 Signins

926 Page Views

• Views: 926
  • Message 225 of 329

2012-03-14, 13:55 PM

Mine was repaired with a new cmaera board in December.  It broke again in Feb.  When I opened it,  I saw that while there were 5 solder points available  (3 contacts, and 2 anchor points)  only the 3 contact points were soldered.  The anchor points on either side of the micro switch were NOT soldered in any way. 

If the new boards are soldered it's a very recent change.

wrote:

Excerpts from two posts in this thread;

>>It looks like the only thing holding the switch to the board is the solder on the three contact points.

>>Faced with the problem of soldering the switch and I am quite inexperienced ..the 3 solder points are actually quite small for the lay person.

Those who have had power button problems, and were able to open the tablet and investigate, seem to be mentioning only three solder pads holding the button in place. I saw five solder pads holding the power and volume buttons in my TPT. This appears to be a hardware revision on the part of Lenovo to address the issue and am wondering whether anyone has had issues even with five solder pads involved.

Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 226 of 329

2012-03-14, 15:00 PM

wrote:

@sobrado wrote:

Hi ameridian,

Where do you find that? I see 11/08 next to the serial number behind the cover for the SIM/media card compartment.

Haven't received mine yet, it should arrive at the end of this week (I have received an email ten minutes ago noting that it should arrive in the next 48 hours).  However, if the box is like the one on another Lenovo products the manufacturing date should be printed on the label attached to one side of the shipping box (where the slate model, serial number and other information is available), if I remember right.

It seems, however, that yours had been manufactured on august 2011(!); it is nice to see that this switch has been soldered in the right way to the board.  Do you know if your slate has been returned to Lenovo for fixing the hardware issues found?  I remember some pictures of the power switch soldered in three pads while the side pads are just placed (unsoldered) in holes on the camera board.

Edit: I have just seen the pictures of the board you posted on another thread of this forum.  It seems that the board was manufactured on june 2011 and it is rev. 1.0.

Options

468 Posts

01-30-2012

United States of America

600 Signins

5731 Page Views

• Message 227 of 329

2012-03-14, 15:32 PM

wrote:

Mine was repaired with a new cmaera board in December.  It broke again in Feb.  When I opened it,  I saw that while there were 5 solder points available  (3 contacts, and 2 anchor points)  only the 3 contact points were soldered.  The anchor points on either side of the micro switch were NOT soldered in any way. 

If the new boards are soldered it's a very recent change.

Each button on mine was soldered to five pads. The usual three at the back and two at the front. The two anchor tabs on either side cannot be soldered since the holes for them are not plated. That is one lousy board IMO. I applied epoxy around all the buttons just to be on the safe side.

Four soldered pads/points can be seen here;

http://www.pbase.com/image/142078687/original 

Side anchor tabs from beneath the board;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/142064525/original

Was yours basically the same board without solder applied to the front pads or were there no front pads?

Options

468 Posts

01-30-2012

United States of America

600 Signins

5731 Page Views

• Message 228 of 329

2012-03-14, 15:58 PM

@sobrado

However, if the box is like the one on another Lenovo products the manufacturing date should be printed on the label attached to one side of the shipping box (where the slate model, serial number and other information is available), if I remember right.

Right you are....Box says "Made in China.....2011-09-10". For what it's worth, it does have the slot and antennae for a WWAN upgrade.

Do you know if your slate has been returned to Lenovo for fixing the hardware issues found?

Not by me. I bought it new at the end of January.

Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 229 of 329

2012-03-14, 16:26 PM

wrote:

@sobrado

However, if the box is like the one on another Lenovo products the manufacturing date should be printed on the label attached to one side of the shipping box (where the slate model, serial number and other information is available), if I remember right.

Right you are....Box says "Made in China.....2011-09-10". For what it's worth, it does have the slot and antennae for a WWAN upgrade.

Do you know if your slate has been returned to Lenovo for fixing the hardware issues found?

Not by me. I bought it new at the end of January.

It matches the fact that the board on the picture is from june 2011 (rev. 1.0), and the date on the 3-in-1 reader/reset/SIM cover shows that this slate is from august same year. Perhaps not all devices manufactured on these months are faulty. A wild guess, but there may be different manufacturer facilities or production lines in a facility. You have an old stock slate, but seems to be ok, either reaconditioned by the manufacturer or made with higher quality standards than other tablets.

Options

468 Posts

01-30-2012

United States of America

600 Signins

5731 Page Views

• Message 230 of 329

2012-03-14, 16:51 PM

@sobrado wrote:
It matches the fact that the board on the picture is from june 2011 (rev. 1.0), and the date on the 3-in-1 reader/reset/SIM cover shows that this slate is from august same year. Perhaps not all devices manufactured on these months are faulty. A wild guess, but there may be different manufacturer facilities or production lines in a facility. You have an old stock slate, but seems to be ok, either reaconditioned by the manufacturer or made with higher quality standards than other tablets.

And GPS works.:smileyvery-happy:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms