CA

93 Signins

929 Page Views

• Views: 929
  • Message 1 of 13

Power issues on Lenovo X1 Tablet (20GG)

2017-02-23, 20:39 PM

Hello, Lenovo community...

I have a client with an X1 Tablet (20GG) that was replaced with a new one, because the previous one they had was a lemon and after escalating the case with lenovo, they offered to replace it instead of having us repair under warranty.

For two months it was working fine, then I got a call saying that the tablet wouldn't turn on. I believe he verified the adapter is plugged in and the battery is functional. So, I had him hold the power button for 30 seconds, put a paper clip in the emergency reset hole and hold it for 30 seconds and now it's turning on ok. Battery is currently 48% charged.

However, the client did notice when he couldn't turn on the tablet that if he disconnected the keyboard and reconnected it the lights would come on for 1 second then go out. (??)

Are these known issues and what was done to resolve them, if anything? Is it possible maybe the tablet didn't get shut off entirely and was in a very low power state?

Options

1 Posts

03-01-2017

US

2 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Power issues on Lenovo X1 Tablet (20GG)

2017-03-01, 13:57 PM

I am having the same issue, save the keyboard lights.  This was a replacement computer after first tablet was stolen on a business trip.  It has worked fine for last 5 weeks and this morning it would not turn on.  The tablet blinKs red when the power adapter is plugged in, so it appears that the power source isn't the issue.

Will using the emergency power reset with a paper clip wipe the computer?  I want to know before I try!

Options

133 Posts

05-14-2014

CA

93 Signins

929 Page Views

• Views: 929
  • Message 3 of 13

2017-05-04, 20:03 PM
It won't wipe the computer, it just does a power reset. It turns out that the tablet blue screen, so it did get "resolved" I believe with a driver update, but there's another problem which I am going to post in a bit.
Options

1 Posts

03-19-2018

US

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 4 of 13

2018-03-19, 20:07 PM
Hi, I am having this issue too. I just did the power reset like how you posted and it came back on. Do you know what else I would need to do to it to resolve this issue or send it to lenovo for repair (I'm still under warranty). thanks
Options

31 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 5 of 13

2018-03-30, 19:24 PM

I wish mine was this simple.
I am also having the issue with the not powering up.
However I have tried the power reset button to no avail.
This is with the charger attached.
I also get the 3 blinks of the light when I attach the charger.

I wish I knew what is going on, it quickly became my favorite device however I am almost ready to give up on Lenovo.
I have a Helix 1 that only has stylus function no touch screen.
I have a Helix 2 that the stylus only works doing the boot up and quits working as soon as it is in windows.
And now a Tab X1 that is bricked.

I have gone back to my Helix 2 and suffer thru without the stylus, but it is a big jump backwards from my T X1, it is a M7 512GB machine and I miss it.

Options

31 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2018-03-30, 23:45 PM

So after posting this I got courageous.

It is long out of warranty and no longer working.

And you can't break something that is already BROKE.

I have already done a disconnect of the battery before.
However I did some reading on Lenovos Hardware Maintenance Manual for the X1T and discovered I had not thought of the second battery before. The dime size battery.
So I removed the back cover, disconnected the main battery, disconnected the second battery and to see if it was a dead cell in the batteries I connected my charger.

For the first time the light lit constant.
I got some pre-bios warnings about resetting time and date and after several tries I got to the point that I could connect the batteries back up, reinstall the rear cover and connect the keyboard so I could give it some direction.

Low and behold I get windows start up.
Imediately after I get full startup I went in and did a full system restore.

Now I have everything up and running again.
It will take a couple days to reinstall everything I had on there, but it is a small price to pay to have my X1T back again.
Hopefully for good, or until I convince myself I cannot live without an X1T gen 3 with full blown i7 1TB and 16GB of RAM.

Yeah at $2400 that may be a while.

Options

31 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2018-03-31, 16:12 PM

WELL,

I should not have spoke so soon.

I found the power button no longer worked and the hall sensor was working in reverse.

In other words, when I close the cover the power remains on. 

If I put it in sleep first it goes to sleep, then when I close the keyboard it wakes up.

So last night I shut it off with the windows onscreen power button and I am back to square one.

No way to turn it on unless I pull the cover and disconnect both batteries. 

The reset button does nothing again as well.

It really feels like a driver issue for the mother board, but I spent half of yesterday updating all the drivers with the ones on Lenovos website.

Options

1 Posts

03-17-2020

US

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 8 of 13

Re:Power issues on Lenovo X1 Tablet (20GG)

2020-05-13, 12:43 PM

I have seen this same issue over the past 5 months. The Thinkpad will stop booting up, you get three short blinks of the LED when you plug it in but no boot up. No amount of pressing of the reset button or power button will bring it back to life. The only thing that works is to take the back off, pull both battery cables and start over. This problem seems to occur regularly if I let the battery drain out. So now this computer is regulated to the lab powered on all the time and is worthless as a travel work computer which is what it was purchased for. Of-course it is out of warranty. Anyone out there found a fix for this yet??

Options

6 Posts

10-03-2019

NZ

8 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 9 of 13

2020-06-23, 14:08 PM

I have the same problem but with a 20GH, and same symptoms. Just doing some homework before opening mine up to disconnect the battery. While reviewing this walkthrough (https://www.laptopmain.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet-disassembly/), I noticed the battery has two connections, one to the I/O board and the other to the camera module. I can't see why the camera module connector would matter but did you disconnect both?

Options

6 Posts

10-03-2019

NZ

8 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 10 of 13

2020-06-24, 0:12 AM

@terry: Update: Followed your steps. In my case the X1T powers up if plugged in, and can then be unplugged and used normally. But it won't power up w/o being plugged in. Only recent change is update to Windows 10 Build 2004.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete