Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 340
  • Message 1 of 6

Solution for Fn/Ctrl key swap or other inaccessible BIOS settings after BIOS and Vantage updates

2021-02-26, 9:42 AM

SOLUTION

Hi there, anyone affected by this problem, I have found a real fix.
Searching for an unrelated issue, I discovered this utility:

Think BIOS Configuration Tool, available here:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/software/think-bios-config-tool

It's a lightweight small official app that exposes all BIOS settings available to WMI.
It comes with instructions, has a simple GUI but includes ability to be run from command line and pass instructions that way also.

It seems to contain everything you'd expect, although sadly not anything fun to tune my device.

When you run it a log file is created in the program directory, like this:

I have tested the app and it works perfectly, both for the key swap and anything else you might want to change.

Enjoy :)

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

5533 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28209 Page Views

• Views: 28209
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Solution for Fn/Ctrl key swap or other inaccessible BIOS settings after BIOS and Vantage updates

2021-02-26, 12:57 PM

Hello there!

Greetings

I can see that you posted this to other boards as well. Just to clarify, from which model of Thinkpad/s did you try these steps? Can you provide the OS version and the BIOS version as well? Thanks

Let us know

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5533 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28209 Page Views

• Views: 28209
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:Solution for Fn/Ctrl key swap or other inaccessible BIOS settings after BIOS and Vantage updates

2021-02-26, 13:46 PM

Hello there!

Greetings

I can see that you posted this to other boards as well. Just to clarify, from which model of Thinkpad/s did you try these steps? Can you provide the OS version and the BIOS version as well? Thank you.

Let us know

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-02-26, 16:04 PM

Hi there @Jwes_Lenovo and anyone else reading
I'm on an X1 Tablet Gen3 TypeKJ.
Windows 10 19042.804, and whatever the current latest BIOS is, 1.40 I believe.

I also have the latest Vantage, which I never run as it's unecessarily bloated and keeps trying to sell me services :)

Either way, this software is simply reading and eventuelly posting UEFI registers through the WMI interface, it's utterly risk-free in its inherent use (what ppl decide to change is up to them, but then again so is drive formatting..) and so should be compatible with any UEFI BIOS machine, which should be almost all recent Intel-based models.

A brief read of the included manual will point you to a list of the models that are compatible with the methods used in this tool, here:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht100612§

• All ThinkPad models from 2018 or newer
  • Selected ThinkPad models from 2017 or older:
    • ThinkPad L430, L530, L440, L540, L450, L460, L560, L470, L570
    • ThinkPad T430, T430s, T430u, T530, T440, T440p, T440s, T540p, T450, T450s, T550, W550s, T460, T460p, T460s, T560, T470, T470p, T470s, T570
    • ThinkPad X1 Carbon (all generations), X1 Yoga (all generations), X1 Tablet (all generations), X230, X230 Tablet, X240, X240s, X250, X260, X270
    • ThinkPad W530, W540, W541
    • ThinkPad P50, P50s, P70, P40 Yoga, P51, P51s, P71
    • ThinkPad Yoga 11e
    • ThinkPad 11e, 13e, 13
    • ThinkPad Helix (machine types: 20CG, 20CH)
    • ThinkPad 10 (all generations), ThinkPad X1 Tablet
    • ThinkPad Yoga 260,  Yoga 370, Yoga 460
    • ThinkPad E470, E570
    • ThinkPad S1, S2, S5
    •  

I posted to Lenovo Tablets and X series tablets, which my device is applicable to, as well as answering a few of the more recent threads where ppl had sadly to be satisfied with rolling back to older BIOS or version of Vantage.

This app allows the benefits of keeping your machine updated automatically, whilst providing a clean and simple interface to perform basic BIOS changes.

What is rather shocking, however, is that this is NOT a new tool: the manual being revision 19, I went for a search and found the blog entry for its creation.. 2016.
https://thinkdeploy.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-think-bios-config-tool.html

So many ppl have been complaining about the Fn/Ctrl switch issue, as well as other BIOS-centred questions resulting from progressively more restrictive BIOS and poorly written end-user Windows software, and I have not seen ONE SINGLE reference to this useful, safe, clean, unbloated app ANYWHERE on these forums.

Feel free to go ahead and cross-post this excellent, parsimonious and simple solution to all the applicable model forums, and enter this solution into your support scripts. 

Call it what you will... Maybe Lenovo consumer segment support staff aren't shown this tool - which is strange, since enterprise support staff who have to deal with end users are absolutely aware of it, and have been for years... Maybe ppl in the loop have been asked to keep the end user dumb and confined to bloated Vantage to sell services, but I'd call it a dereliction of customer service.

But that's just me, and since I've been doing this front and back end since 1989 I've been around since before UI's existed, so maybe I'm alone in wanting to know stuff and keep it clean.

Have at it ppl: ThinkBiosConfig.hta executable: 85kb. 

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

8 Posts

03-11-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-03-11, 4:19 AM

Seems like this BIOS option got removed again in the new X12 Detachable (BIOS 1.06) and no longer appears in the Think BIOS tool.

The latest Commercial Vantage displays the option to swap (but it doesn't do anything) in 10.2102.10.0

Oh, and the really fun part is if you reverse the function/special function keys in Vantage, you better have an external keyboard ready if you want to hit F1 to enter BIOS

One step forward, two steps back...guess I'll make a new topic about this

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-03-11, 9:01 AM

Ouch @dustland.crow that's annoying!
I'm very surprised to see anything disappear from ThinkBIOS and still remain available anywhere else in Windows though...
Maybe Vantage is showing the option whether or not the BIOS supports it at all, so you could log that into a post as a Vantage isssue, given that's Lenovo's "preferred" interface to all the settings...
Vantage v BIOS aka Bloatware vs Crippleware.. makes me mad 😕
Good luck, please do post something here if you find a solution, or link to your new thread so anyone who comes here can keep updated 👍

Cheers

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms