Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

09-22-2011

Vermont, USA

7 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 21 of 146

Re: TPT bricked by battery firmware update!

2011-11-01, 16:56 PM

+1 to Root! I can then do backups as well as run BackTrack Linux, which was a major factor in purchasing it to begin with... Then again, I was thinking that I was buying a ThinkPad, not a crapple ipad.

It seems we have reverted back to the days of IBM whitelisting hardware o.O

Anyway, was charging to get above 70%, but I'll hold off on updating. Thank god my charging port is broken :) It's going in to service for the defective USB port issue plaguing other TPT users.

I want to run a backup before I send it in, but instead if I lose anything I am going to call Lenovo 5x a day every day until they "send me my data" which will hopefully annoy them enough to start thinking about granting root access.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 22 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:24 PM

keszegh, rhillson,

We are certainly concerned seeing two customers report their system is hung following an update.   Any additional information you can provide can help us test and confirm that the update should be safely applied by other customers.

Can you confirm that both of your systems had charge levels above 70% and were plugged in using the Lenovo power adapter ?

What version of system software were you upgrading from ?

All, 

Let's keep this discussion dedicated to this issue with the update rather than branching into requests for root, etc. 

Thanks!

Mark

Options

65 Posts

09-07-2011

Ohio, USA

66 Signins

775 Page Views

• Views: 775
  • Message 23 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:34 PM

Yes, can confirm battery was 80+ percent and plugged in via micro usb. Note that my usb port is loose and being sent into engineering this week. However I had it positioned so that it was charging.

The regular update was applied just fine, but after the percentage indicator reached 5% with the battery firmware update the screen went blank and was unresponsive. After about 5 minutes I pressed the power button short press nothing (long press, normal startup vibration). I then waiting a little while longer, no response, then unplugged and tried to power up. Same situation as plugged in. Tried the emergency reset button, no change. Tried to boot into recovery (without seeing anything on screen), no change.

Basically sitting here with a big paperweight! As I told the tech support this morning, I should be getting a replacement via customer relations for the loose charging port issue this week. Still I wish that I didn't have as many problems as I've had with this product. Receiving a charging dock for all this trouble could make up for it though! :smileyvery-happy:

Options

268 Posts

09-02-2008

United States of America

567 Signins

5465 Page Views

• Views: 5465
  • Message 24 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:34 PM

Battery firmware update was included in the OTA released today. The battery firmware update is applied after your Tablet restarts.

If your tablet gets in the power off state as posted by some of the forum users, do this to recover it.

Use a pin and hold the "reset button" (between the SD card and SIM card slots) for about 20 seconds.

After debugging we have found out that the issue happens only if you are NOT using the original USB cable that was included with the charger that was provided with the Tablet.

You can recover your system as mentioned above and then complete the battery firmware update using the original USB cable and power adapter supplied with your tablet.

We have stopped the OTA update and are working on messaging this information in the update.

Options

65 Posts

09-07-2011

Ohio, USA

66 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 25 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:36 PM
I believe it was the latest system software update. I had done a factory reset last week in preparation for sending it in.
Options

135 Posts

10-25-2011

Hungary

371 Signins

2077 Page Views

• Views: 2077
  • Message 26 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:36 PM

Dear Mark,

I wrote all infos here or on the other topic (

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/New-Update/td-p/578357/highlight/false/page/3 )

charge level was a bit below 70%, i think around ~63% or so, yet it was written on the update that if plugged in then this is ok.

and indeed the android update went fine. then it restarted, started the battery update (asked for plugging in before, which i did already) and at 5% it stopped and said that it failed (before these but during the battery update there was a warning about launcher ex pro not responding, which i force quit). it seemed harmless at this stage, i thought i will try again to update when fully charged, so i plugged off the charger so that i can switch off tablet, plug in (so that i can be sure it is charging) and then try again when fully charged. i never got this far as when pulling off the plug, the tablet turned off and since then no sign (except the vibration when on charge and i press the power button for a long time).

type: 1838-22U

serial number: xxxxxxx

if you have further questions, please ask. on the other hand you should inform us about the chances to unbrick it (by myself or at a service center). Also, everybody is quite interested (well, except me for technical reasons) what did the update include.

Mod edit:  removed serial number

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 27 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:40 PM

keszegh,

Try the proceedure recommeded by BNSF above.  I've marked it the solution for now to ensure community members note his advice.  Appreciate hearing your results and we will update accordingly.

Thanks!

Options

65 Posts

09-07-2011

Ohio, USA

66 Signins

775 Page Views

• Message 28 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:43 PM

wrote:

Battery firmware update was included in the OTA released today. The battery firmware update is applied after your Tablet restarts.

If your tablet gets in the power off state as posted by some of the forum users, do this to recover it.

Use a pin and hold the "reset button" (between the SD card and SIM card slots) for about 20 seconds.

After debugging we have found out that the issue happens only if you are NOT using the original USB cable that was included with the charger that was provided with the Tablet.

You can recover your system as mentioned above and then complete the battery firmware update using the original USB cable and power adapter supplied with your tablet.

We have stopped the OTA update and are working on messaging this information in the update.

While I was using a usb cable connected to my computer here at work like you had stated might be the issue, the recovery method you are stating does not in fact work for either of us reporting the issue in this forum.

Following holding the reset button for 20+seconds, the tablet only vibrates when the power button is long pressed, but nothing happens on the screen.

Options

169 Posts

09-21-2011

Trinidad and Tobago/ United States

1634 Signins

7845 Page Views

• Views: 7845
  • Message 29 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:47 PM
It's great to see Lenovo interacting on this issue. Thanks Mark and BSNF!
Options

43 Posts

09-14-2011

Michigan, USA

93 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 30 of 146

2011-11-01, 17:50 PM

I also have the issue with my tablet on powering on after the update. I too had the tablet plugged into the factory charger but was not using the supplied microUSB cable. Battery level was approx 50%. I have tried holding the reset button but that has not changed the misbehavior of the tablet. Holding the power button triggers the vibrate, but nothing else and whiile plugged in. I use the tablet daily for taking notes in school, and it contains all of my textbooks. I need to get this thing working ASAP so I'm glad to see Lenovo staff posting. Please let me know how I should proceede to get this issue fixed promptly! Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms