Anton67
Paper Tape
Views: 2,409
Message 1 of 16

TPT10 2nd does not wake up from sleep from time to time

Here is what I tried and got:

ThinkPad Tablet 10 2nd Typ 20E4 Windows 10 64bit

I tried the following tasks:

1) reset to standard energy management option/setting back to standard engery plan:

no success

2): system file checker-output (it is in German):

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Systemsuche wird gestartet. Dieser Vorgang kann einige Zeit dauern.

Überprüfungsphase der Systemsuche wird gestartet.
Überprüfung 100 % abgeschlossen.

Der Windows-Ressourcenschutz hat keine Integritätsverletzungen gefunden.

Basically this says: Everything is OK.

3): I look for hybrid standby option to switch it off, but this option is not available on a tablet obviously. 

Here are some other thoughts:

drivers (I suspect WiFi and graphics are important for sleep)

- WiFi: Broadcom of July 30th, 2015, Version 1.480.0.0

- Intel HD Graphics of November 18th, 2015, Version 20.19.15.4331

Eventviewer finally shows this error - not sure if relevant for this problem, but anyway:

Protokollname: Application
Quelle:        DptfParticipantWirelessService
Datum:         14.02.2016 11:36:15
Ereignis-ID:   1
Aufgabenkategorie:Keine
Ebene:         Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch
Benutzer:      Nicht zutreffend
Computer:      DESKTOP-02NDH0B
Beschreibung:
Die Beschreibung für die Ereignis-ID "1" aus der Quelle "DptfParticipantWirelessService" wurde nicht gefunden. Entweder ist die Komponente, die dieses Ereignis auslöst, nicht auf dem lokalen Computer installiert, oder die Installation ist beschädigt. Sie können die Komponente auf dem lokalen Computer installieren oder reparieren.

Falls das Ereignis auf einem anderen Computer aufgetreten ist, mussten die Anzeigeinformationen mit dem Ereignis gespeichert werden.

Die folgenden Informationen wurden mit dem Ereignis gespeichert:

DptfParticipantWirelessService
ServiceMain:  ServiceStart() failed.

Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/ev​​ent">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="DptfParticipantWirelessService" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-14T10:36:15.837402600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>20413</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-02NDH0B</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>DptfParticipantWirelessService</Data>
    <Data>ServiceMain:  ServiceStart() failed.</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Anton67
Paper Tape
Views: 2,392
Message 2 of 16

Re: TPT10 2nd does not wake up from sleep from time to time

meanwhile I downloaded the Intel Cherry-Trail Chipset drivers from here:

http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/products/Tablets/ThinkPad-Tablet-Series/ThinkPad-10-20E3-20E4/downlo...

Installing them resulted in a blue screen (error message: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).

After that, I used device manager and updated all (ALL) drivers there, using automatic update feature - many drivers were updated.

After that, I let my tablet sleep (15min standard timeout), but it did not wake up. Had to press power key 10 sec to get it back and same sleep/not wakeup cicle confirmed that my problem got worse.

So I gave it another try and updated Cherry-Trail Chipset driver - this time no blue screen and at least the first sleep woke up.

I'll keep you posted if this was coincidence or wakeup works now. Let's wait a week or so.

BTU: I used Lenovo Companion and called Hardware Scan from there - just starts Lenovo Solution Center 3.2.002, but that windows becomes invisible even though it still seems to run. Download Center offers a link to Lenovo Solution Center 3.2.004, but that links leads to http-error 404.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,386
Message 3 of 16

This is a neverending story of Lenovo tablets and crappy third-party drivers or firmware Smiley Frustrated Unfortunately it is very hard to diagnose these issues. As for the BSOD, use BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html to get details of the BSOD that may point to the driver and affected devices.

There is obviously no QA nor support because these issuses are there across all tablet series, check this thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-based-Tablets/Yoga-Tablet-2-10-1051-Windows-8-1-Frozen-Won-t-tu... No solution for more than one year.

If you can always reproduce the issue thy to disable wireless device drivers one-by-one in Device Manager to find the bad one. Be careful to not disable the touchscreen (I2C controller) otherwise you would have to use external USB keyboard to enable it again. No one would expect such quality in premium price tablet Smiley Sad Skip the hardware scan test, it is useless.

Paper Tape
Views: 2,367
Message 4 of 16

Thanks puppy for your reply - I can only agree your statements, especially for the hardware scan ... really useless.

Meanwhile I got another hang up (no wakeup from sleep) after all that driver upgrades I described above. So there is no solution feasible for my little knowledge obviously than to kill the machine by 10sec pressing power button.

Currently I disable wifi when closing my lid (having disabled "connected standby" was not enough) - this seems to be a workaround, but yet to be confirmed - will continue this practice for some days and will report here on results.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,350
Message 5 of 16

@Anton67 wrote:

Currently I disable wifi when closing my lid (having disabled "connected standby" was not enough) - this seems to be a workaround, but yet to be confirmed - will continue this practice for some days and will report here on results.

A tablet without working Connected standby is imho useless. The fast wakeup and being always connected is the essential feature.

It is frustrating that these recurring issues are known for a long time and still unresolved yet considering the ThinkPad 10 premium price. The only support you get is to "reinstall everything" that can not help. It took me several months to get ThinkPad 8 tablet into state that everything (almost) works.

Using the hard reset so often will lead to drive data corruption soon or later, it is not a permanent solution. I would try the device disable game hoping you find the driver. Broadcom drivers are also crap and Lenovo usually does not update them very often. Because the wifi module is OEM component you can not download them directly from the vendor site. Strange world ... There is no QA anymore, you are the beta tester Smiley Frustrated

The System Update sometimes does not offer latest drivers, it is safer to check it on web site http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Tablets/ThinkPad-Tablet-Series/ThinkPad-10-20E3-20E4?beta=f...

BTW just for fun and some software testing I bought cheapest 8" Prestigio Windows 8 tablet available on sale for a 60 EUR. It has never had any hang up yet in Connected standby mode.

Paper Tape
Views: 2,312
Message 6 of 16

It seems the workaround works, but I agree with puppy that this is not the way it should work, of course.

Lenovo WiFi Driver is in version 1.452.0.0 available on the web site -> no wake up with this one.

Autoupdate Driver started within device manager updates to 1.480.0.0 --> no wake up agian.

So I will wait for a miracle ...

Laureyns711
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,319
Message 7 of 16

Hi All,

I have several ThinPad 10 G2 (20E4) that sometimes will not wake from sleep. Power light is on, press power no response. In most cases needs a hard reset. We are running Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 (10586). Nothing in event logs indicates any issues.

Anyone else see this.before?

Moderator comment: Merged in. Subject edited.

Laureyns711
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,315
Message 8 of 16

I did find a 6008 error in system logs indication an unexpected shutdown 4 hours before condition was discovered.

Guru
Views: 2,283
Message 9 of 16

@Laureyns711 wrote:

I did find a 6008 error in system logs indication an unexpected shutdown 4 hours before condition was discovered.

That sounds like a crash, and the unresponsiveness was after the fact. You might have a hardware issue, unless you see some other indication like a bluescreen logged as well. Is there a MEMORY.DMP file in c:\windows? If so, was it created about the same time?

Anton67
Paper Tape
Views: 2,268
Message 10 of 16

Miracle happend :-)

I found a hidden window on my machine and task manager told me, it's Intel Driver Update Utility.

After deinstalling that one everything works now, even connected standby can stay switched on.

Summary of my actions during the last weeks: (maybe some of them are necessary, unsure)

Fingers xed, I do not need hard resets any more and can use the tablet productively.

Can lenovo provide a tool that checks for correct driver versions need for wake up and that provides a black list of tools that should NOT be installed on the machine? - That's definitely on my wishlist for easter holidays, so I do not loose hours and days any more seeking for solutions...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors