Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

03-11-2013

Connecticut

44 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 1 of 4

TPT2 - Case & BT Keyboard Folio? Does a compatible one exist?

2013-03-11, 16:57 PM

I am a newly proud owner of a Thinkpad Tablet 2. It is a great device with excellent battery life and the 1.3lb is fantastic for hand-held tablet use. However, the need for a keyboard/case folio has arisen.

I am specifically looking for one that includes a keyboard (Example: Kensingon Keyfolio Pro 2), or at least one that includes space for me to buy a separate mobile keyboard. The intention is that I don't want to carry a separate peripheral outside of the TPT2's case.

• The official Slim Case from Lenovo is back on order for at least a month. That's kind of out of the question and doesn't include a mobile keyboard (nor space for one)..
  • The "MoKo Slim Cover Case" looks like my best option right now -- it's cheaper than the official Lenovo Slim Case AND it's lighter (only 7oz vs 10oz, respectively). However, it too doesn't come with a keyboard and the extra space to squeeze in a mobile BT keyboard seems limited.
  • I have considered purchasing a Microsoft Wedge keyboard or AmazonBasics Bluetooth Keyboard, but I believe both are too big to fit the MoKo Slim Case when the entire unit is closed.
  • I have looked around for Android-based accessories since there are a ton of 10.1" tablets out there. Samsung Galaxy Tab comes close in terms of dimensions. However, most cases would block the Lenovo TPT2's ports (like the charging and USB ports on the bottom left). Also, the screen cutout on Android cases aren't generous for Win 8's side swipes (for the charm bar, etc.).
  • Even the original Thinkpad Tablet's accessories are not physically compatible with the TPT2, if I understand correctly.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Maybe there's an existing Universal keyboard folio that would work?

Options

5074 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12952 Signins

191511 Page Views

• Views: 191511
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: TPT2 - Case & BT Keyboard Folio? Does a compatible one exist?

2013-03-11, 17:53 PM

I can't speak for availability but have you considered the ThinkPad Tablet 2 Bluetooth keyboard along with a  ThinkPad Tablet 2 [not "slim"] Sleeve? The sleeve is designed to hold both the TPT2 and keyboard.

Amplify Your ThinkPad Tablet 2 Experience

The third picture shows the sleeve with TPT2 and BT KB:

My comments are mine. I don't work for or speak for Lenovo.
Please do not send me PMs. Ask your question on this forum so that everyone can respond or learn.

Options

66 Posts

01-21-2013

Seattle, Washington, USA

105 Signins

770 Page Views

• Views: 770
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-05-02, 8:04 AM

I just got a Thankscase Slim case (http://www.amazon.com/THANKSCASE-Leather-Microfiber-Thinkpad-Integrated/dp/B00BLCKML8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1367480951&sr=8-9&keywords=case+thinkpad+tablet+2). I paid $20, they seem to be $25 now. The case holds the TPT2 at four points (two on the top at/near the corners, two on the sides) and allows it, in landscape mode, to sit at one of three angles.

When you flip the screen cover all the way back, you can hold the tablet easily in either portrait or landscape. There is a built-in elastic hand strap you can use to help hold it--especially handy in portrait orientation.

Oh, and you don't have to remove the TPT2 from the case to put it in the dock--just flip the case back. And you can use the case with a Microsoft Wedge keyboard in your lap if you don't angle it back (so it's somewhat awkward). I think with a string to hold the TPT2 down, it might work quite elegantly.

Finally, when the case is closed, it shuts the TPT2 screen off; it comes back on when you open the screen cover. Excellent.

Totally rocks!

The only nit I can find is that the case doesn't have a hole to correspond to the hole on the back of the TPT2 that the TPT2 User Guide describes as "microphone." The microphone works with this case on, so I'm not sure if it's important or not. If it is, I can drill a hole.

The current Moku case is not as nice a design, but Moku is planning to do a similar case. Their customer service is fantastic--the owner responded to a review I left on Amazon and offered to swap cases when the new one becomes available. I also made him aware of the microphone hole issue. (He was also planning a swivel case that would hold the TPT2 in either landscape or portrait mode.

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-05-02, 9:01 AM

PaulJ333 wrote: 

The only nit I can find is that the case doesn't have a hole to correspond to the hole on the back of the TPT2 that the TPT2 User Guide describes as "microphone." The microphone works with this case on, so I'm not sure if it's important or not. If it is, I can drill a hole.

I don't think it's vitally important. There's a corresponding hole for the microphone on the front of the TPT2 (look for a small nick in the bezel adjacent to the right hand side of the screen). That's why the microphone works for Skype usage when the TPT2 is in the case.

I have the armourdog case from Lente Designs, which is identical to the Thankscase design (no idea who has copied who), and I'm very pleased with it.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms