cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPT2_is_crap
What's DOS?
Views: 1,734
Message 1 of 6

TPT2: How to enable hibernate? Where are all the power options?

I have a ThinkPad Tablet 2 with stock Windows 8.

My problem is that the tablet battery is always dead if I don't use the tablet for a few days. My suspicion is that hibernation is not properly configured so that the tablet stays in standby forever (unless manually shut down) and eventually dies.

Therefore, I want to enable hibernation, as I am used to on my Windows 7 laptop. I want the tablet to go into hibernation automatically if it has been in standby for a certain amount of time.

However, when I go to "Advanced Power Options", almost all the options that I know from my Windows 7 laptop are missing, including any referring to hibernation.

I already tried the cmd command "powercfg -h on", and I tried changing settings in safe mode. It didn't work.

Where is this setting?

Thanks!

ddoucette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,708
Message 2 of 6

Re: TPT2: How to enable hibernate? Where are all the power options?

install classic shell.

Is in the same place as win7

rbc_tn
Token Ring
Views: 1,693
Message 3 of 6

In the Advanced Power Options, although there isn't a group of settings called Sleep (which is where, on Windows 7, you can set Hibernate After), the group under Battery has Critical Battery Action which, on my tablet, is set to Hibernate. So you should be able to set your tablet to hibernate at a certain low battery level.

I suspect that, even when the tablet is in hibernation, the battery may still slowly run down. So you might want to set the Critical Battery Level higher than the default 2%! 

- rick

TPT2_is_crap
What's DOS?
Views: 1,670
Message 4 of 6

OK, I see the "hibernation" option in the battery section. However, I want to hibernate after a certain time, not at a certain battery level. How do I do that? It's absurd that these options have been hidden so well in Windows 8.

Regarding battery drain: As I understand it, Hibernation should have the same battery battery drain as when the computer is completely shut down (i.e., very little). The only difference is that in hibernation, the memory is written to disk before shutting down.

Seniorsergent
Token Ring
Views: 1,666
Message 5 of 6

@TPT2_is_crap wrote:

I have a ThinkPad Tablet 2 with stock Windows 8.

Therefore, I want to enable hibernation, as I am used to on my Windows 7 laptop. I want the tablet to go into hibernation automatically if it has been in standby for a certain amount of time.

Where is this setting?

Thanks!

There isn't any such setting. The Clover Trail processor used in the TPT2 cannot hibernate or go into ordinary stand by mode.  You can choose between connected standby or off. This is not a specific Lenovo thing, it is an Intel thing, common for all tablets running the Intel Clover Trail Processor.

Slainthé

Mick

Slàinte
Mick
rbc_tn
Token Ring
Views: 1,656
Message 6 of 6

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that you can set the timeout for hibernate, using the command-line program powercfg. This is (poorly) documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10).aspx

The command powercfg -x -hibernate-timeout-dc <minutes> sets the hibernation timeout when on battery. You can check it's been changed using powercfg -q.

However, when I set the timeout to 1 minute, nothing happened after a minute (and more) of idle time. So I think the system just doesn't support hibernate timeout. Hard to say why this would be any different from sleep timeout, but there it is.

- rick

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors