Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 1 of 11

TPT2 driver frustrations and dock failure (after less than 24 hours).

2013-01-23, 15:50 PM

I've had my TPT2 (a free upgrade in considerations of numerous warranty calls on my TPT1) for less than 24 hours. 

Its currently sitting on a shelf, powered down, if that tells you my experience so far.

Questions, per the details below, for you gurus:

1.  Anyone else have a defective connector on the TPT2 dock yet (eerily reminiscent of the TPT1 power cord connector debacle)?

2.  Anyone else having issues with drivers for basic peripherals being recognized?

3.  Anyone else having troubles displaying to a second monitor via the HDMI port of the dock?

Lenovo also sent me a TPT2 dock, since I told them I had that for my TPT1.  Alas, the TPT2 dock is already boxed back up to be returned and exchanged. After plugging it in (the dock is powered) I spent several minutes swearing under my breath as to why none of my peripherals or my HD monitor were being recognized.  I then saw that the connector plug on the dock is loose, so when I try to dock the TPT2, I can see the plug moving down as contact is made.  By wiggling the TPT2 gently for about five seconds, I found the sweet spot and made the connection, but knew that the dock was going back to Lenovo for exchange.

Having made the connection, I have found my latest frustration:  Drivers (which I realize could be considered a Windows issue vice a TPT2 issue, but I'm inclined to think the Lenovo implementation of W8 is partially to blame for basic peripherals being inconsistent).  When the TPT2 finally acknowledged the dock, I heard a windows alert noise of devices detected (my mouse and keyboard connected through the dock).  I waited a minute, two minutes, nothing happened.  Keyboard and mouse not working.  I went to the "Desktop" view (the classic windows view as opposed to the W8 touch panel view), and saw that the TPT2 was trying to download drivers fortwo devices, I assume my standard USB keyboard and my Microsoft Trackball Optical mouse.  But the download was hung up.  After 5 minutes, I cancelled and restarted the TPT2.  The keyboard and mouse now worked, after the reboot.

Next adventure:  Taking advantage of the HDMI output to use my 32" monitor.  This is where I decided to put the TPT2 back on the shelf for the day.  The TPT2 acknowledges that a second monitor is connected, and gives me the options to extend/duplicate/change to the other monitor.  But none of them work.  I select any of them, and either nothing happens, or I get a warning of "Are you sure you want to use the other monitor as the only monitor?" to which I click Yes and then nothing happens. I went back in to "Desktop" view and opened up display properties.  Its only recognizing my HDTV as a "Generic PNP Monitor."  Went in to the advanced settings to update the drivers for the monitor, but there is no "Update drivers" option I can find. 

I'm still optimistic that I will find the TPT2 an improvement over the TPT1, but I have a gnawing suspicion that the TPT2 is still not going to live up to the Thinkpad name of old.

JC

Options

25 Posts

01-16-2013

Petaluma

87 Signins

935 Page Views

• Views: 935
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: TPT2 driver frustrations and dock failure (after less than 24 hours).

2013-01-23, 19:08 PM
Yea, sounds like a defective dock. I currently have the dock as well, and haven't had any issues doing the things that you tried. The driver installation issue is probably just a windows issue since it sometimes gets caught up on things like that. (Since as long as I remember)
Options

498 Posts

12-11-2012

North Carolina

274 Signins

15035 Page Views

• Views: 15035
  • Message 3 of 11

2013-01-24, 21:00 PM

I would definetly contact your sales department: the number for the US:

Questions after you buy
1-866-428-4465
Monday - Friday 9am - 7pm EST

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/contact/

Thank you for being a part of the Lenovo Family,

Catie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"
Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Views: 38544
  • Message 4 of 11

2013-01-24, 22:41 PM
My dock connector is also loose. It moves easily both forward/backward and left/right. Keeping an eye on it for now. Just got the dock today and my TPT is already charged.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2013-01-25, 18:20 PM

wrote:
My dock connector is also loose. It moves easily both forward/backward and left/right. Keeping an eye on it for now. Just got the dock today and my TPT is already charged.

I at first thought that the looseness was a feature to help stop it from breaking or damaging the TPT.  It very well may be.  But for my dock, the right end of the connector is not attached, so the TPT2 pushes it down a bit before it sometimes engages enough to charge the battery, but not seemingly enough to enable the HDMI connection and some peripherals.

Finally got the paperwork with returns worked out, I think, and hope to have a new dock next week.

JC

Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 6 of 11

2013-01-25, 19:33 PM
Just got my dock and it won't run my 24" monitor at 1920x1080 resolution. I can select that resolution but the borders of my Windows desktop are pushed wider than the display edges so that I can barely see my taskbar . Any of you noticed this? My connector is loose too but I think it was designed that way.
An answer to a question from another thread is that the TP2 will NOT fit in the dock when using the slim case. Kind of a bummer, they could have made enough room to accommodate that accessory. Pain in the butt to remove it every time I need to use the dock.
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 7 of 11

2013-01-25, 20:08 PM

wrote:

An answer to a question from another thread is that the TP2 will NOT fit in the dock when using the slim case. Kind of a bummer, they could have made enough room to accommodate that accessory. Pain in the butt to remove it every time I need to use the dock.

Ah - thank you. A bummer indeed, and poor design on the part of Lenovo.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

9 Posts

11-20-2012

United States

12 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 8 of 11

2013-01-25, 20:49 PM

Got my dock.. started testing.

Keyboard/Mouse worked fine, then i went to test my Dell Monitor.

The Tablet detected a screen, extend, clone did nothing, the Monitor just never saw input.

I then tried "second monitor only" - this now has my tablet locked into a second monitor only mode when docked. The monitor does not work so obviously i can see nothing... sigh. 

Removing the tablet does not give me access to the setting so i cannot change back, now everytime i dock the tablet goes dark.

Any idea how to fix this?

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2013-01-25, 20:58 PM

Sorry to hear it. Have you tried disconnecting the HDMI cable from the dock while the tablet is in the dock?  Maybe it will sense the 2nd monitor is no longer connected and force it back to the TPT2?

I had the same experience with the dock and an HDTV, except (luckily for me) when I chose second only nothing happened still.   I had chalked my problem up to a bad dock, but if you are having a similar issue with dual display then I wonder if there is another issue?  I tried on two different HDTVs with no success.

Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Views: 38544
  • Message 10 of 11

2013-01-25, 22:37 PM
I'm going to try a few devices and look for the same issue. I'm still in the testing phase on both devices.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms