Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 101 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-01-18, 9:55 AM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 102 of 411

2013-01-18, 13:39 PM

Has anyone tested an unpowered peripheral that is guaranteed to never exceed 500mA, even at startup?

Many seem to be going on about their unpowered DVD/HDDs not working but not being specific about brands and what their rated current is.

DO not compare to other devices that do work, because that is irrelevant if the USB port is operating within spec.

I got a Samsung SE-S084 external DVD burner specifically because it is guaranteed to always use under 500mA. It works on my Sony 8" P Series laptop and the front ports (usually less powered than rear ones) on my PC.

My three el cheapo, never-heard-of-the-name-and-no-specs USB cases with PATA 2.5" HDDs all work on one port on my Sony P Series and a front port on my PC, but they need to be powered from two ports on my PVRs.

Now, for me, I am not interested in plugging in anything that requires more than 500mA, but I would start wondering about purchasing the TFT2 if it cannot supply 500mA.

To those for whom plugging in HDD/DVDs doesn't work, don't expect the computer to tell you what current is being drawn. I suspect that if it cannot get to recognise the device, the computer won't get any operational details.

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Message 103 of 411

2013-01-18, 13:57 PM

@manuelcalavera

Do they actually say they can handle all those unpowered? Or is that an assumption based upon experience with other tablets or even PCs?

For me, they don't have to match what other manufacturers do, but all I want to know is if it will handle 500mA. It is about obtaining what it is supposed to handle.

The problem is that Lenovo isn't forthcoming with some very important specs, like which bands the 3G works on. Even the manual doesn't provide details under the Specifications section for either the USB ports of the 3G.

They may be used to dealing with fleet management companies that will be given a couple, try them out and then buy hundreds if they pan out. However, that engagement model doesn't work for consumers. Nether does not being able to find shops that actually stock them so one can get one's hands on one in the flesh, instead of on the scant specs they supply.

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 104 of 411

2013-01-18, 14:18 PM

Patanjali wrote:.

Now, for me, I am not interested in plugging in anything that requires more than 500mA, but I would start wondering about purchasing the TFT2 if it cannot supply 500mA.

haha. And you were giving us lectures.

It is TPT2 by the way.

----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

26 Posts

01-06-2013

United States

100 Signins

528 Page Views

• Views: 528
  • Message 105 of 411

2013-01-18, 19:50 PM

Bump.

Back to the top Lenovo.

Options

31 Posts

01-06-2013

Masschusetts

124 Signins

481 Page Views

• Views: 481
  • Message 106 of 411

2013-01-18, 20:59 PM
We need engineers to solve the problem, don't we?
Options

2 Posts

01-17-2013

Venezuela

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 107 of 411

2013-01-18, 22:30 PM

Hi Mark.

I aprreciate all the effort and time that you are investing in trying to clear out this issue.

Please do take into account and strongly consider the recommendation of taking this case up to Lenovo's engineering department, as soon as possible. 

I've been following the TPT2 for months (as I assume have been many others here), patiently waiting for it to be commercially available. I trust Lenovo for the top quality and durability they put into their portable computers since years ago, which along with other features, makes this my first option amongst all the Windows 8 Atom tablets available. 

Suddenly two -apparent- power issues arise, the one being discussed here, and the one in the other thread (TPT2 not giving a VGA video output without using the the dock). This is about the only thing preventing me from acquiring the TPT2  right away. USD 700 is an important investment to many pockets and most of us are trusting the Lenovo brand to deliver a device that will be trustable on the road and fully functional in conventional features, in the usual manner, meaning, USB and VGA inputs/outputs are expected to work as they usually do in any other portable PC devices (laptops, notboooks, ultra mobiles).

And in my particular case, the strong foreign currency regulations existing in my country makes this a pricey item to get, making it even more important  to get  the most out of such investment. Otherwise, I'll have no option but to to ultimately choose another tablet, a different brand, at an even  higher price, which I'm still reluctant to do. 

We're counting on you to help us escalate these issues to Lenovo's product and engineering areas.

Thank you very much!

Mike.

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Message 108 of 411

2013-01-19, 15:06 PM

@manuelcalavera

Sorry, mixed up the abbreviations. Part of my brain must have been thinking old LCD monitors.

From all that has been written, I still have not seen a definitive answer to the question about whether anyone has tested it with a motorised peripheral GUARANTEED to NEVER draw more than 500mA. MOST WILL exceed that, unless specifically engineered to do the limbo below it.

Until someone does that, I can LECTURE ALL I LIKE about people who complain but fail to tell what current their devices are supposed to draw.

Up until now, I have not seen someone prove (taking what they have written as fact) that the TPT2 is NOT within a standard USB port spec.

I am not trying to be difficult here, but I want to make a rational decision, but I feel there is too much noise about what people expect to work rather than a willingness to qualify the capacity of the actual port with hard data. A failure with a device without specifying what its minimum current draw is not productive, except to up the razz meter.

Going by the way some are carrying on, I should have returned our three Beyonwiz PVRs 4 years ago because they couldn't power a USB HDD from only one port. As it is, they work fine from two and we still have working machines that easily beats the latest offerings from Samsung et al.

For those who haven't got a TPT2 and want to be able to plug in any USB peripheral, regardless of current draw, you may as well move on, because it is obviously not the machine you seek, regardless of any other attractive attributes. May as well not complain. If it actually has a hardware problem, it is NOT going to be fixed in the short term without halting the line and reengineering the electronics. Don't hold your breath for that one.

If the port turns out to be within a standard USB spec, then Lenovo does not have to do a thing. They will sell tones of these things to enterprises and maybe to the a fair few consumers who understand what a standard USB is capable of.

If the port does turn out to be substandard (as measured against the USB spec, not just someone's expectations), then we will at least know for sure and they will probably do something about it, eventually, or they will just withdraw it. Then some will be really entitled to be pissed off!

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Message 109 of 411

2013-01-19, 15:13 PM

Mark,

Could we have some more tech specs please, like:

- Current capacity of the USB port

- Bands on which the 3G works. I am specifically interested in whether it works with Telstra's NextG HSPA+ on 850Mz.

Consumer's need this info to make rational decisions about the TPT2. Otherwise, you risk them having their expectations wholly set by what works with the competition.

Options

468 Posts

01-30-2012

United States of America

600 Signins

5731 Page Views

• Views: 5731
  • Message 110 of 411

2013-01-19, 17:26 PM

wrote:

If the port turns out to be within a standard USB spec, then Lenovo does not have to do a thing. They will sell tones of these things to enterprises and maybe to the a fair few consumers who understand what a standard USB is capable of.

The USB power spec can be referenced here under the section "Power";

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

~

~

Some devices, such as high-speed external disk drives, require more than 500 mA of current[48] and therefore may have power issues if powered from just one USB 2.0 port: erratic function, failure to function, or overloading/damaging the port. Such devices may come with an external power source or a Y-shaped cable that has two USB connectors (one for power+data, the other for power only) to be plugged into a computer. With such a cable, a device can draw power from two USB ports simultaneously.[49]

If the TPT2 does meet USB power specs, and that's still a big if, then it would appear that competing manufacturers have exceeded these specs with more savvy designs. Just meeting specs is one thing but exceeding them without detrimental consequences should be noted and customers in the know are expected to favor the obvious.

Personally, after owning a TPT1, hell would have to freeze over before I even recommend, much less purchase, anything made by Lenovo. Why guys like Manuel, who complained regularly about issues with his TPT1, would purchase another Lenovo tablet remains a mystery to me.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms