Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

72 Posts

01-05-2013

East Coast USA

181 Signins

1469 Page Views

• Views: 1469
  • Message 111 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-01-19, 19:43 PM

Patanjali **bleep** are you talking about?  USB devices which work on every single other atom tablet out do NOT work on the TPT2.  Lenovo also advertised this in the datasheet as supporting these devices, there is no disclaimer of power requirements.  Are you telling me that Acer, Samsung, and Dell (did I miss one) all made USB ports which go beyond the standard USB specification?  Because that's the only way you can explain why all these devices work on those tablets but not on the TPT2, at least by your reasoning.

Its obvious from Marks puzzlement and testing results that this was indeed marketed correctly and now there is an issue keeping it from functioning correctly.  If we don't bring this issue to Lenovos attention then we are stuck with the issue.  Sorry I'm not going to stick my head in the sand as you suggest, I also won't make useless suggestions.  Its time for the Lenovo engineers to figure out the issue, not for consumers to beta test their project. 

Seriously, if it bothers you that we are complaining then why complain yourself about us?

Here is Lenovos exact wording in their marketing.

ThinkPad® Tablet 2 comes with a full-size USB port and

supports all Microsoft® Windows® drivers to connect to external

USB drives, monitors, printers, cameras, DVD burners,

mice and keyboards.

• In addition, with the ThinkPad enterprise dock, users can

support up to 3 USB devices at a time in addition to a full-size

HDMI out port and audio and power ports.

Options

135 Posts

01-19-2013

Austria

132 Signins

1387 Page Views

• Views: 1387
  • Message 112 of 411

2013-01-19, 22:41 PM

Hi Patanjali, hi Mark and hi fellow victims,

to stop arguments about what should and what is and what might or might not be.

The USB specs, the TPT2 documentation and the device manager all state that the USB port is supposed and has to supply 500mA current - this is a fact!

I have now actually measured my Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500GB USB 2.0 2.5" HDD on my Lenovo ThinkPad T500. While the label on the HDD states a current intake of 451mA, I measured a peak intake of ca. 490mA for a maximum of ca, 750ms (milli seconds) while spinning up, dropping well under that and not rising over 500mA at any time.

While the HDD does definetly stay within USB specs, the TPT2 does not accept the drive, so I even tried cutting the spin-up current by starting the HDD via a Y-cable with AUX power into a powerd USB HUB, letting the HDD spin up and then connecting the DATA side of the Y-cable into the TPT2. Then the TPT2 recognizes the HDD and can access data. I can even unplug the AUX power, and the TPT keeps connection to the drive. But as soon I try to access the drive.- e.g. single click on on file, not even open it - the connection breaks and the HDD starts making odd noises, although prior to that the current never rose above 500mA.

In my despair I even tried to draw some power from the microUSB (charching port) via a microUSB-USB-adapter and the Y-cable, but as expected this didn't solve the problem either.

So, no more philosophizing if this is a problem or not - IT IS! The specs are not fulfilled, so do something about it! AND: Start telling the truth, be honest with us and give us options!

There are people - like me - who based their decision to purchase a TPT2 at least partly on the fact, that it has a full size USB 2.0 port - no matter if other knobheads want to tell us we'd not need it, WE DOOOOO and we want it to work!
I decided for example against the ASUS VivoTab Smart because this had only a microUSB. Now I know I should have gone for this and just accepted the need of a microUSB-USB adapter. This would have been less hassle than needing a powerd HUB and mains in reach.

So what now?

wrote:

From all that has been written, I still have not seen a definitive answer to the question about whether anyone has tested it with a motorised peripheral GUARANTEED to NEVER draw more than 500mA. MOST WILL exceed that, unless specifically engineered to do the limbo below it.

Until someone does that, I can LECTURE ALL I LIKE about people who complain but fail to tell what current their devices are supposed to draw.

Options

72 Posts

01-05-2013

East Coast USA

181 Signins

1469 Page Views

• Views: 1469
  • Message 113 of 411

2013-01-19, 22:57 PM

ScruffR that's my experience as well, I commented on that but it seems our lecturer didn't read thru.  I have a Asus blueray/dvd burner that comes with a y cable.  It works without the Y cable on a Samsung 500t and an Acer w510, just using a single usb cable.  On the tpt2 it doesn't work, neither with a single usb cable or the Y cable, which should be supplying a potential of double the power.

Options

10 Posts

01-18-2013

Australia

50 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 114 of 411

2013-01-19, 23:02 PM

Pantajali,

The whole issue is that lenovo is not delivering what they have marketed the TPT2 to do, they promised a working USB port able to work with portable HDD and DVDs. But going into what exactly the power output the USB can acheive is just pointless. The general user aren't going to be pretesting all the hard disk and DVD drives to see if they draw above 500 mA, they just want it to work as advertised.

Options

9 Posts

01-03-2013

United States of America

69 Signins

672 Page Views

• Views: 672
  • Message 115 of 411

2013-01-19, 23:50 PM

wrote:

From all that has been written, I still have not seen a definitive answer to the question about whether anyone has tested it with a motorised peripheral GUARANTEED to NEVER draw more than 500mA. MOST WILL exceed that, unless specifically engineered to do the limbo below it.

Until someone does that, I can LECTURE ALL I LIKE about people who complain but fail to tell what current their devices are supposed to draw.

Up until now, I have not seen someone prove (taking what they have written as fact) that the TPT2 is NOT within a standard USB port spec.

Thank you ScruffR for the cold hard facts. Patanjali promised to stop lecturing now that you've established what seems to have been clear from the start:  that the USB port doesn't deliver what the specs promise, and more importantly that Lenovo has promised (with no small amount of fanfare) something that the TPT2 simply does not deliver, even though all of their current competitors have managed to do so.

Hopefully this discussion can move on from the semantics of specs and Lenovo can update us on the status of the fix for the crippled tablet many of us have already spent good money, time and energy on.

Options

28 Posts

12-05-2012

Denmark

86 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 116 of 411

2013-01-20, 14:41 PM

Well put, SeaNutria..

Options

135 Posts

01-19-2013

Austria

132 Signins

1387 Page Views

• Views: 1387
  • Message 117 of 411

2013-01-21, 0:34 AM

Agreed!

It was a bit condescending to propagate the idea that all the other OEMs could not read the USB specs and have produced crappy devices that only worked because everybody else was just as incompetent and all this incompetence luckily worked out better than the one and only true and honest manufacturer whos brilliance and perfection is just not honored by these ignorant customers

But luckily it is always easier to become less perfect. So there is hope that Lenovo might some day descend to the lowly spheres of incompetence of all these other OEMs and will deliver imperfect but working devices happily ever after :smileylol:

Options

66 Posts

01-21-2013

Seattle, Washington, USA

105 Signins

770 Page Views

• Views: 770
  • Message 118 of 411

2013-01-21, 6:01 AM
I came to the forum to see what how well Lenovo supports its products.

I am not impressed. It's been about two weeks, and there is zero evidence that anyone at Lenovo who can shed any light on this problem is at all aware of the issue.

That's pretty shocking. I've worked for both hardware and software companies, and in both cases support people could check with engineers to find out what the story is. There were times when we had to work to reproduce a customer-reported problem, but when that was the case we let the customer know exactly what was going on--in fact, we were required to contact the customer every day or two to let them know what the progress (or lack thereof) was.

I'll be following this thread, and if I don't see better support and communications, I'll be shopping elsewhere for my tablet. (Samsung is already off my list because of their total lack of response to the serious bug on all of its current Android devices where, once the bug shows up, copying to the clipboard crashes the current app--they've known about the bug for six months and have had code to reproduce it for a month but have done nothing--not even furnish a workaround besides a factory reset.)

The TPT2 USB problem is also a serious one, and it deserves a serious response.

My hope is that this is a software problem and can be resolved with a driver or BIOS update. That would be an acceptable answer, and I'd be pleased to order a TPT2 knowing that the problem would eventually be resolved. I could use a hub in the meantime....

Or, if I knew that the power issue wouldn't be resolved, I could decide whether the issue was important enough to keep me from purchasing or not.

But when the company doesn't seem to support its products, there's no way I want to purchase.
Options

26 Posts

01-06-2013

United States

100 Signins

528 Page Views

• Views: 528
  • Message 119 of 411

2013-01-21, 12:21 PM

Bump.

Still waiting Lenovo

Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 120 of 411

2013-01-21, 14:14 PM
Hello guys ! I was condering to purchase a TPT2 and use the usb port. After reading all the message, I am not anymore interesting in this tablet... unfortunatly. For those you bought the TPT2, keep trying to get the best solution from Lenovo. It's a shame that the support for this newly reference is not considering seriously this issue. I have experienced a big issue for an x60s with a flickering screen problem and the issue lasted at least 2 years without any feedback from Lenovo... Finally, the solution was partly found by the contributors of the topics. For your reference : http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X60-Screen-flickers-and-screen-shutoff-problem-with-power/td-p/12403/highlight/true/page/21 This is a message to support you in order to find quickly a solution. I am very disappointed by this USB problem which leads me not to purchase this tablet. Good luck !
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms